How do you layout sprinklers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which layout is better? Yes, the second has square sprinklers. I found them on the Gardena website but super expensive.

irrigation layout1.JPG
irrigation layout3.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The implied accuracy of the second layout is impressive. I would choose that, if it does actually work well.

How much more are three square heads and two round ones versus ten round?

I did a quick search. Gardena OS 140 pop-up sprinklers go for $60 to $70 and the T 100 showed prices of $35 to $45. Considering that alone, the prices seem comparable, but I don't know the total price. Perhaps there are other factors that make the second system more expensive.

Still, if the second system did work better, some additional cost would be worthwhile.
If the seccond array evenly irrigated the entire lawn with less run-off and water sprayed on hard surfaces, it would be a benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
With just a small garden where the beds have a leaky hose watering system, with a small lawn, sprinklers didn't need a lot of thought. Put them in in an afternoon nine years go. They don't need any maintenance, come on each year any time I need them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The implied accuracy of the second layout is impressive. I would choose that, if it does actually work well.

How much more are three square heads and two round ones versus ten round?

I did a quick search. Gardena OS 140 pop-up sprinklers go for $60 to $70 and the T 100 showed prices of $35 to $45. Considering that alone, the prices seem comparable, but I don't know the total price. Perhaps there are other factors that make the second system more expensive.

Still, if the second system did work better, some additional cost would be worthwhile.
If the seccond array evenly irrigated the entire lawn with less run-off and water sprayed on hard surfaces, it would be a benefit.

I wouldn't actually use the T100. Hunter has the comparable MP2000-90 (T100), MP1000-90 (S80), MP3000-90 (T380) for $7-8 each plus California rebates are $2 a piece. Now we're talking $60 vs $190. But seems like a lot of wasted water with all that overlap. Costs aside, is the overlapping layout better (ie, is that much overlap needed)?

Everything I'm reading is recommending 20-50% overlap. However, the square sprinklers can be adjusted, all 4 directions independently, so I can always add overlap if needed. The only thing I do not like about the 2nd layout is the garden bed that gets sprayed but not completely. It would be better if everything got it or none.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder how durable they are as well. If I put them in the center of the grass, would they be able to handle my kids running on top of them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
it seems like enough overlap can be achieved with either system, except for those two patches without coverage in the first design.... and those patches are only a couple square feet so lateral movement of water in the soil may be enough.

The durability of the OS 140 square heads may be in question. I just read a few reviews on Amazon. Though 60% of the reviews give them 5 stars, there are some disparaging reviews from Germany that claim that they break after two years... How long is the warranty? Two years?

Still, it would be interesting to try the square heads. Perhaps you could combine the two plans and just use one or two square heads at one end of the lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With just a small garden where the beds have a leaky hose watering system, with a small lawn, sprinklers didn't need a lot of thought. Put them in in an afternoon nine years go. They don't need any maintenance, come on each year any time I need them.

@Sean Regan if only I knew what to do with the area where the tree is and to the right. Other than lawn I think not much. The area to the left and down, I can continue the flagstone from the front. Leaving the main rectangular area for my kids to run around on and play soccer. That would simplify the sprinklers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is counter to what we've been talking about up to this point but this is my latest design. Eliminated as much overlap and overspray as possible. This would cost over $300 just for the sprinkler heads, but I really like these sprinklers and want them to last. :confused:

irrigation layout5.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like with minor reducttions to the lawn (and new space for flower beds!) you could go down from six sprinkers to four.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like with minor reducttions to the lawn (and new space for flower beds!) you could go down from six sprinkers to four.
Where? Just below the small rectangular area at the bottom is a double gate that leads to the front. On the left is a row of fruit trees which you and I have talk about. Along the top are all flowers. Along the right is hardscape.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The two areas I was considering is the corner next to the Camellia bed and the small rectangle just above the tree in the lawn.
Of course, if frequent travel through those areas is essential then it would not work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The small rectangle next to the tree is a good idea. The other would not work due to the distance limitations of the sprinkler head, 7m in one axis and 4.7m in the other. Although the distance limitations are different in the description on their website vs their layout tool.

I could also put a smaller half circle for the smaller rectangular area next to the tree. Then it would be Grass and cost only $6 for the sprinkler head.

Ask a Question