Plot layout and watering questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_E6934 (1).JPG

I'm new to this. Our grown son built a garden which we've taken over since he moved out. We've pulled the weeds and added soil from local garden supply shops. We're in Connecticut, near the shoreline.

Now, how to lay out our rows and plan for watering? We're not ready for the expense and commitment of a drip grid watering system. I'm thinking, round soaker hoses. I think you're supposed to run the hose along near each seed row, so the space in between gets less water, so fewer weeds?

The overall bed area is 3' x 16'. There are three beds each 36" across by about 63" long. The sides are about 8" high.

Our seed packets (cucumbers, radishes, kohlrabi, beets) all say to plant rows 12" apart, except for the cucumbers, their rows are 36" apart.
Should we run the rows - and the soaker hoses - down the length of the beds? The first row could be 6" from the bed's edge, then space them 12" apart, three rows total.
The hoses would start at one end, and just go over the barriers between the three beds. Easy peasy. I think I can do some simple hose plumbing to create three parallel hoses to cover the area.

Or run the rows crosswise - say, 5 rows per bed, spaced a foot apart, each row three feet long? That looks like a lot more plumbing fittings to set up, to make 15 parallel hoses going across the short direction in the beds. Is there a good reason to do that?

Thanks for any help!

Ask a Question