Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm still a few weeks away before i turn mine on,
Don't need to water but i like my extra yard faucets in the corners of the yard
I kept mine simple no wire just valves and pipes ,
I'm able to water all my bed and the Little grass i have left when needed

Reaction score
I put one in 9 years ago and learned a lot the next time I put one in. I have mine hooked up to a controller but I have had some issues with pipes breaking due to the dirt settling around the house of my foundation. This year I have to replace several valves that are just old and some cracked last year. The other challenge I have is that I am continually changing how much landscape I have so I have rotors where I really should have spray heads but it works. It is much easier than dragging a hose around the yard getting stuck on every rock or tree, cursing and getting irritated. I also have my hanging baskets hooked up to the system so it waters them every day, they are on a drip.

Reaction score
ACK sprinkler season is almost upon us. We did all ours with no guidance, ha, maybe not the smartest thing we did, but now after about 7 years, many redo's it is working pretty well. We did our front yard one year, the back yard the next year, then added the pond so had to change the back yard, then we did our three acre pasture, that has been a total blessing! only problem is when we put cows in the pasture they like to break the sprinklers, this year I am getting goats, will see how hard they are on them. As it stands right now we have about 20 sprinklers and risers we need to change, thanks to the stinking cows last year, BUT, the cows are gone now, and we have an over abundance of meat in the freezer, maybe we can get caught up on the sprinkler repair this year.

Reaction score
We are lucky to have a borehole to supply our sprinklers. We have quite a big garden, the part of it I use to do my gardening in is half an acre. Initially we had drag lines with cap connectors for sprinklers and hose pipes.The pipes of the drag lines where 50 mm in diameter and just took too much water to fill, which in the end cost us a burned out bore hole pump motor. Our dogs (garden pest no.1) did a good job of killing some of the pipes as well.

We decided to fix this problem the hard way, dig the trenches, bury the pipes, add ball valves, and put in pop-up sprinklers. It took us three weekends to complete the project. But in the end it was worth it. We did not put in a timer as we need to flip the the valves, to get the whole garden watered. Now I do not have to haul around uncomfortable sprinklers and pull on heavy drag lines to get everything watered, i just flip a switch.

Winter is coming on this side of the world, and I need to stock up on ball valves, the weather here can go quite cold and the ball valves sometimes crack when the water freezes in the pipes.

Reaction score
All my lines have an automatic drain valve on them.

HP3000-2T.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Very rarely do I see sprinklers used here on lawns. For years one bank had their lawn watered each summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely puit mine on.
But they are there, if I need them. There's only two as they are powered by mains pressure. It's just for the lawn.

I put them in myself. I bought the heads on eBay, the rest is speedfit pipe and accessories.
I had some sand and cement in the garage to re-make the path and a bit of Polypipe to protect the Speedfit pipe.
The control valve came from a previous central heating system. Total cost aroud fifty quid.

This was the "dry run" or should I say, "wet run," to make sure they'd work before I dug up the lawn to bury the pipe six inches down.

I put them in during an afternoon, the scars on the lawn disappeared in a couple of weeks.
They've been working for over ten years. As the pipe is plastic frost doesn't affect it.

P1020979.JPG

P1020982.JPG

You can alter the heads to alter the spread from 365 degrees down to about ten. I have a 90 degree dry section so the tea-house dorsn't get watered.

The borders can be watered by my dedicated leaky hose system. It's split into three sections, by Hoselock valves, so I can water any section individually, or any combination of two of the three, or all of them.

Ask a Question