Roof Garden layout?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi All,

I am trying to create a garden on the roof (17'x35') and am trying to figure out the design. We reinforced the joists while replacing the roof and want to put some containers up there now. I am not sure what would be a better size configuration for them. Not sure how row placement and sun configuration would effect this decision too?

One with smaller rectangular planters appeals to me because I can distribute the load on the roof more evenly and get to the back of plants more easily. I am worried about cooking the plants up there and would think the soil would heat up (and cool off) more easily with smaller sizes.

The second idea is to have less planters but with each being larger. Practically i use less materials making in cheaper, but the loads on the roof would be less distributed and maintaining smaller ones seems easier (access under them and like)

Other than these points i am at a loss as to what the benefits of each would be.....

I have uploaded some drawings

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Smaller planters.JPG
    Smaller planters.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Larger planters.JPG
    Larger planters.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 255

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bigger or smaller planters is really going to depend on what you are trying to grow up there. For example, a single tomato plant will require at least 5 gallons of dirt to grow in.

So... Welcome to the forum, and what are you growing? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks Mary, I would like to rotate the plants I would put in. Tomatoes, squash, peppers some herbs, Okra.
I think I'll go toward the larger planters to allow for more flexibility (even though the smaller ones would have been more than 5 gallons).
What do you think a good depth would be for a 3'x4' box?

Thanks!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What do you think a good depth would be for a 3'x4' box?
When it comes to raised beds, you will probably want to rely on the knowledge of other forum members. I've never grown in a raised bed. :unsure: In my zone, all vegetables are annuals, so I'd go at least a foot, (maybe a foot and a half,) but hopefully someone will come in to agree or disagree with that. o_O

While I'm thinking about zones, it would be helpful for us if you would update your profile to include yours. ;)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/pages/hardiness-zone/
Once you've found your zone, you can enter it in your user profile page (here)

Ask a Question