Roof Garden

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got bored with weeding today so thought i'd get up on the pill box roof and have a go at the brambles :)

Half an hour later...

Didn't clear it totally as the soil is rather thin, but i'm thinking about some House Leeks or similar up there :)

Reaction score
Oh my what a lovely surprise that must been - to find you had a secret garden hiding up there :)

Love the yucca - and although you were thinking of House Leeks - how about some low growing Sedums - as apart from really complimenting the Yucca, being extremely low maintenance and ideal for the environment - they come in some truly wonderful foliage colors and many even bloom throughout the year too

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Knew it was up there, just couldn't justify getting up there while there's so much other work to be done around the garden, but Sis is away this week, so she won't know :D

Sedums sound good too :) I'll check out the garden centre tomorrow :)

Reaction score
That is so incredible. I love the feeling you get when your randomly walking or exploring and find something so amazing ! That has happened to me too and I love it. We have lived in Florida for 10 years now but I am still amazed at the plants and shrubs you see. I think I am so used to things in upstate NY it's strange to see things so different.

I love the thought of a roof top garden. I know they are located in many cities where there is a lack of space for regular gardening. When you see them it's so cool to think things can grow there. :) I guess, just in general, God amazes me with his outstanding creativity. :)

Blessed :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's an old World War 2 pill box that's tucked away in the corner of Sis's garden, not technically hers but the farmer had fenced it off from his land, so I did some repairs to it.

Put a door on it

Put some makeshift windows in and painted the inside :)

Can't see the Yucca in this pic of about 4 years ago, guess it must have been dropped by a Swallow

Reaction score
Knew it was up there, just couldn't justify getting up there while there's so much other work to be done around the garden, but Sis is away this week, so she won't know :D

Sedums sound good too :) I'll check out the garden centre tomorrow :)

Well either way - think its a lovely idea to turn into a proper roof garden and shall look forward to seeing pictures once you've got it all done :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's such a great place! It looks very mysterious. When I was a child, there was a very old chicken coop in a corner of my parent's garden. I loved it:) I used to sit on top of it all day long. It was my little kingdom:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Roof garden :eek: That reminds of Plants Vs. Zombies!

Final-Wave-at-Stage-5-Level-2-plants-vs-zombies-25980505-800-600.jpg

Haha. Just kidding.

That is a really nice project. It's amazing when you find great things hidden under rubble and weeds. It would be great to have one, but my cats are always climbing the roof.

Reaction score
Very cool project! What an interesting little building. I'd love to have a roof garden some day. It's a great way to utilize space.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks nicer in the sunshine today :)

Had an offer of these from a UK forum member, he's coming down this way next week :)

house-leeks-jpg.39269

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like it would be very fun to work on, and it is a historical site as well to boot! I could think of so many ways you could transform it into a beautiful little cottage!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Meeting up with the member tomorrow, gonna have a fish together :) He's bringing the plants down with him :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I absolutely love little hidden gems like this pill box you have. You can just sit in something like this forever and imagine what happened there and who had been in there before you. It would also make a fun little rustic garden area!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yucca didn't flower this year :(

With winter coming up I decided to put a fireplace in the pill box, as i'm using it as a workshop.

DSCN2157.JPG

Started it yesterday afternoon.

DSCN2159.JPG

Rendered it this morning :)

Back on with making windows now, it's so nice not to be mad anymore and actually feel like doing stuff instead of forcing meself to do things :)

DSCN2160.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You weren't mad Zigs just going through a bad patch but it's good to hear you're feeling much better. :) The pillbox will look good with some Sedums etc. Has the fireplace got a chimney of sorts outside?

Ask a Question