Rooftop gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm in love with rooftop gardens. I think they're the most romantic: it must be wonderful to be on the top of your house and have beautiful flowers around you. I like this idea even thought I'm so scared of heights.
It's perfect for people who live in big cities where is no enough space for traditional gardens.
What do you think? Do you like it? Do you have rooftop gardens in your area?
Here are pictures:

das9f5ycxht5s8182hgfhnlmo1_500.jpg

401_richmond_rooftop_garden2.jpg

chicago-roof.jpg

risc_roof_garden_3104_jpg_600x.jpg

Reaction score
Rooftop gardens are a wonderful idea. I would love the opportunity to create a garden on top of a roof. What would add to the beauty and serenity of a rooftop garden is having a sun-room leading to the garden. I could see myself spending all day in this type of environment.

Here's a really nice one, with a hot tub to boot ... you could have a nice get-together, with 4-6 of your closest friends... wouldn't want a whole lot of people ..

rooftop-gardens-15.jpg

Reaction score
I love roof top gardens too. We used to have one in our previous home.. I had a couple of tall bushes there,,.. but later the other residents objected to it and I had to give away my plants. There can be nothing nice than a roof garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, why did the students object to it?

@Claudine, many New Yorkers covet apartments with rooftop gardens. Now though, with the increasing interest in green rooves, I think we will gradually see more and more roof gardens, even if it's nothing more than a bed of moss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, many New Yorkers covet apartments with rooftop gardens. Now though, with the increasing interest in green rooves, I think we will gradually see more and more roof gardens, even if it's nothing more than a bed of moss.

This would be wonderful if there were more of them, they look so beautiful! Unfortunately in my area I haven't seen any:( . I've seen them in Venice though - it's another reason why in my opinion it's the most beautiful city in the world:D .

Taskeinc, it's such a beautiful picture, I'd love to have a rooftop garden like this. I can't stop looking at it, I like it so much:D

Reaction score
@Maddie, why did the students object to it?
@.
Chanell, They were worried that the roof would become weak... I had paid so much to have the water proofing done.. I also used plastic tarps on the floor and all plants were in containers... But when you live in apartment blocks these issues arise from time to time.. I did not want to get into arguments.. I just gave in... I was so sad after that.. Now, I have all the plants I want in my balcony and window sills... :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, They were worried that the roof would become weak... I had paid so much to have the water proofing done.. I also used plastic tarps on the floor and all plants were in containers... But when you live in apartment blocks these issues arise from time to time.. I did not want to get into arguments.. I just gave in... I was so sad after that.. Now, I have all the plants I want in my balcony and window sills... :D

That makes me a little sad :-( What is the total area of your balcony?

@Claudine check out these rooftop farms:

HomePage

portlandroof.jpg

uncommon-ground.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, they're wonderful, thank you for posting it!:D I want to have a farm like these, I would sit there for hours. And I'd grow roses. I don't know, the idea of rooftop gardens seems just extremely romantic to me:) .

Maddie, I'm so sorry you had to give up on your roof garden:(

I have more pictures:

roof-garden-farm-nyc-lg.jpg

rooftop+farm.tiff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A supermarket? It's wonderful! In my area supermarkets are the ugliest buildings. I wish they had rooftop gardens.
This is pretty:

6384f_mieszkanie-zdjecia_1_jpg_podziemne-domy1_main.jpg

And this looks like it wasn't planned...:p but still, it looks pretty:

6210_dach-zdjecia_1_jpg_zielone-dachy-ekologia-izolacja-uszczelnianie.jpg

ogrod-na-dachu-norwegia.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't think I would want a green roof on a house with a standard gable like that. (Especially those trees!) I would be concerned about the "green" spreading to areas I did't want it. But if I had a flat roof with a ledge around it, I might consider doing raised beds of some sort. I would also want part of the roof to have solar panels and maybe even wind turbines.

I do like the earthship; the roof garden makes the house look like it is part of the natural landscape.

This isn't a roof garden, but it's really cool!
15381396562_h4bP8.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't think I would want a green roof on a house with a standard gable like that. (Especially those trees!) I would be concerned about the "green" spreading to areas I did't want it. But if I had a flat roof with a ledge around it, I might consider doing raised beds of some sort. I would also want part of the roof to have solar panels and maybe even wind turbines.

I know, having green roof like those in the pictures that I posted is not practical at all... but still, it's so romantic! Being reasonable is always very hard for me:p .
Oh:D :

greenroof2a.jpg

But a roof with animals is a little bit too much:eek: :

goatsonroof.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a bit much! I wonder how they got up there in the first place. Not that anyone can blame them for grazing; it's also a way to control the grass and keep it from overgrowing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That is a bit much! I wonder how they got up there in the first place. Not that anyone can blame them for grazing; it's also a way to control the grass and keep it from overgrowing.

Yes, but I'd be so afraid they will fall down. I don't know anything about goats (are these goats?) but I have a dog and he is not scared of heights at all so maybe it's the same with other animals.

I want to have a house like these:D :

285611527_880810f75a_o.jpg

The-Traditional-Architecture-of-Green-Grass-Roof.jpg

063grass-roof-HOUSE_NORWAY-2005.jpg

Ask a Question