Garden layout

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So we have been holding off on the gardening this year. We will be moving in a month or so. So obviously we didnt want to get the vegetable garden going here just to leave it.

Right now we are renting and the house will go on the market as soon as we move out.

Anyway. We are looking at choosing one of three homes to buy and I wanted to get some ideas. Yeah I know, kind of hard without pictures. Ill post some up as soon as I take them.

House #1 faces south with a three car garrage facing the alley to the north and has a tall privacy fence. In the south eastern corner stands a large oak that shades about half of the third acre back yard. In the front yard there is a medium sized mapel(?) To the south east and the front yard is fairly small. But its kind of neat. Theres about six feet of flat ground directly infront of the house before coming to a slope that is about 10 feet.

Anyway. The front part of the house gets good afternoon and evening sun and decent shaded morning sun. I was thinking about taking our raspberry bushes and planting them in beds to either side of the front door. I suppose I should google this. But was curious as to how they will handle afternoon and evening sun as opposd to the morning and afternoon sun theyre getting now.

Then I'm thinking about building a retaining wall that starts at the sidewalk leveling half the slope and planting a flower garden. It gets excelent all day sun.

The back yard will be more tricky. The center rear of the yard gets good all day sun (about a 20'x30' section) but Im reluctant to put a garden there because of my two very large dogs and taking away from space for my two sons to play. Do you folks think it might be better to plant two smaller gardens against the east and west facing fencelines and planting vegies there respective to the type of sun they enjoy? Typically we've stuck to maters cuckes and a variety of peppers. But Im open to a change of plant. Though maters and peppers are a must. I can't make my chilli without reapers.

House #2 has a slightly smaller (but only slightly) yard. It faces west with sparse woods to the east and has a chain link fence to the north and east. The west has a tall privacy fence owned by the neighbor. There are no trees in the back yard. And with the way the front yard is already set up I dont plan on adding anything. I really dont know how to go about setting up a garden in the back though. Haven't really thought much on it yet.

House #3 is actually the most likely one we will end up with. But it also has the smallest yard. The entire lot is only a third acre. Facing east is the house and to the west is a two car garrage. On the north is a small plank fence and only a neighbors yard to the south with a small poplar in the south eastern part of the back yard.

The front yard is nearly as large as the back and gets decent all day sun. There are large trees in both the neighbors front yards. So there are parts that are shaded. Maybe put the raspberries in beds along the house in the front?

In the back on the southern side of the garrage is a gravel parking spot. Just big enough for a full sized pickup. I've thought about either excavating the gravel and putting soil in its place for a vegetable garden or just building a raised bed over top of it. I kinda thought leaving the gravel would give it some excellent drainage. But would love to hear y'alls thoughts on it.

So any input would be welcome. And this weekend when Im off work I will be viewing the homes again and will take some pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know the deer situation where you are, but here fencing was a big factor in our house/land buying decision. Are they a problem there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In certain parts of town they can be. Not so much in the part of town where house #3 is though. 1 and 2 though there are many wandering the streets at night. Though house 1 really isnt far from the house we are in now and we've not had an issue with them. Likely cause of our dogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So it seems like we've settled on house number 2.

I think Im going to remove the tree in the front yard and plant an apple tree. And remove the bushes on the front and northern side of the house and plant a flower garden.

5C0ksrb.jpg

Im still not exactly sure how to set up the back yard. And eventually I think Ill add a greenhouse where the concrete pad is. My wife works at Harbor Freight. Toward the end of the summer they have some pretty good deals on theor 10x12 greenhouses. But we will see if I can build one myself cheaper.

zFtTNCa.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question