How do you change the colour of roses?

Reaction score
I don't think you can change the color of roses unless you graft another colored rose on to the stem of your rose. At this moment a nice little coral rose has bloomed in my garden. I had to cover it with a plastic sheet to protect it from the rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Food coloring should work with a vase of flowers, but I imagine that it would need an awful lot to have any effect on a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When I got one of my miniature roses, it had dark pink flowers. Now, after a year, it produces only pale pink ones. I have no idea how it happened though:p . I'm afraid that if you really want to have coral roses, you'll have to buy a new plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
claudine, I'm guessing here but the change in yours could be either a change in the amount of light it's getting or a change in nutrients.

I don't have a lot of experience with roses, but I've got two identical ficus plants (one propagated as a cutting from the other) which are kept in differently lit areas. One is in my greenhouse and the other lives just outside the greenhouse door in summer, moving into my kitchen at night in winter. I've always thought the light in the greenhouse was quite good, but the foliage on the one kept inside is a lot darker than the one which lives outside. It will have to come outside eventually because I grew it for the interesting variegated foliage which sunlight produces.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, it just seems like food colouring is a little 'unnatural' or it feels like it can harm the plant. I'll do some more investigating. It's just I've seen some bizarre ones like royal blue and such so just wondering how those can be possible.

Reaction score
add food colouring to a watering can, then water your plants

I'm just guessing though and not sure if it will work :D

try it on a vase with flowers and see if it works
Oh I have tried that on carnation and roses.. The carnations did acquire some streaks ..but I had no luck with the roses. Yes, you can color cut flowers in any number of colors you want.. We had discussed that in another thread about changing the color of any bloom, started by me. However, I am yet to change the color of roses that are still on the plant.

Reaction score
Aww I was so hoping that you all were going to say that the food coloring worked. I so wanted to try it. I know it works well for flowers in a vase LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Don't worry, flowers come in so many different colors and they look so gorgeous when they're natural. But you can always experiment:D. I'm sure that there is a way of changing the colors of blooms, we just don't know about it yet.

Reaction score
add food colouring to a watering can, then water your plants

I'm just guessing though and not sure if it will work :D

try it on a vase with flowers and see if it works

Cool tip! I wonder if this tip works with many plants? I might actually give it a try once I grow plants again ;) It's be very fun if my kalanchoes would get a new color :)! I wonder if this would work on them?

Reaction score
Country
Congo
Where does the water go when a plant is watered? With this experiment, children can discover for themselves how essential the functions of roots and stems are to plant growth. As the colored water is absorbed, students will be able to see how the water is absorbed into the plant and will be amazed when the petals of the carnation change color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well food coloring is how you make rainbow roses, right? I'm not sure if this could be applied and work well in a general sense though, for ones that are still growing. There are some things that function as "natural food dyes" that might tint it? Or perhaps the amount of direct sunlight and/or nourishment they get from the soil? I'm honestly not sure but it is an interesting question and I'll have to look into it some more and see :).

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I dont think that you can change the colour with food colouring but it sounds like a good idea to try it and let us know. I do know that the turquoise roses are dyed in a special way. Google should be able to tell you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen any turquoise roses. I'm sure they look very unique!:)
Two of my miniature roses changed their colors by themselves. If I knew how this happened, maybe I could change other roses as well. It would be fun:)

Ask a Question