how can re grow sweet potatoes??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i have seen many ways to re grow them in water and the slip. But do i use a whole sweet potato or chop it in half???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i have seen many ways to re grow them in water and the slip. But do i use a whole sweet potato or chop it in half???
That all depends on what you want to do. If you want a beautiful vining indoor plant you can just grow the potato in a jar of water and it will grow like crazy but will never have potatoes. If you want to have potatoes you must use slips and all a slip is, is a sprout that grows from the tuber. You get a sharp knife and cut the sprout from the tuber and plant it in good soil when the weather is really warm. Come back in 3 or 4 months and dig up the potatoes.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That all depends on what you want to do. If you want a beautiful vining indoor plant you can just grow the potato in a jar of water and it will grow like crazy but will never have potatoes. If you want to have potatoes you must use slips and all a slip is, is a sprout that grows from the tuber. You get a sharp knife and cut the sprout from the tuber and plant it in good soil when the weather is really warm. Come back in 3 or 4 months and dig up the potatoes.

Ya i want some potatoes :))) I seen a few videos that some people Cut the potato in half put it in the water and wait for the slips to come out.. and some just put it the whole potato in the water and wait for slips. Which is the best method?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
This guy is ready!! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ya i want some potatoes :))) I seen a few videos that some people Cut the potato in half put it in the water and wait for the slips to come out.. and some just put it the whole potato in the water and wait for slips. Which is the best method?
If you want to actually have potatoes don't put them in water. Keep them in a cool place and they will sprout the slips on their own. Putting them in water just begs for fungus on the newly sprouted sprouts/slips. It may take a little longer but the plants you start will be stronger and produce better. Remember that sweet potatoes like warm soil in which to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Frozen Peas. Meaningful label →
Sweet Potato Slips
Posted on March 18, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YYFNT 10 May 2015 Planting Sweet Potato Slips
Six sweet potato slips we planted outdoors. If the nights are cold they will be covered with five gallon pails.
URL

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PONGC 18 March 2015 Planting potato slips in soil.
Roots have formed on the potato slips and were planted in soil. The shoots can be planted in soil directly without this step in warm climates and they will grow if kept moist.
URL

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RRIES 11 March 2015 Potato Slips. The slips were of sufficient size to be removed and placed in water to form roots. This is growth after about 20 days. After roots are formed the slips will be placed in pots in soil and allowed to grow until time to place in garden about 1 June.
URL

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IZFHZ 28 February 2015 Sweet Potato Slips
Two sweet potatoes of different types were purchased from the supermarket to produce slips for planting outdoors about 1 June. The slips are produced from the flatter end of the potato. The potatoes were cut in half and placed in water on a heating pad and sunlight until the buds started to form, which took about ten days. Toothpicks were placed in the sides and the potatoes where placed in cups to allow the slips to get larger, when they will be removed and placed in a pot with soil to form strong roots before placing in the outdoor garden. I wasn’t sure where the slips grow from so the potato was cut in half and both parts placed in water. Since I now know only a portion of the potato need be cut off from the sharp end when growing next year. Sweet potatoes like heat.
dsc_2768%2028%20february%202015%20slips_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you want to actually have potatoes don't put them in water. Keep them in a cool place and they will sprout the slips on their own. Putting them in water just begs for fungus on the newly sprouted sprouts/slips. It may take a little longer but the plants you start will be stronger and produce better. Remember that sweet potatoes like warm soil in which to grow.
Thanks I will do this!! And thanks for the helpful pictures

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This picture is my 2014 harvest from three plants.

In 2015 the rabbits kept eating the vegetation and reduced my harvest considerably. This year I will cover with chicken wire until the plants get large enough so that the rabbits leave them alone.

dsc_2269%209%20septmber%202014%20sweet%20potato_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
21 August 2015 Sweet Potato Juice
Posted on August 21, 2015 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/21%20August%202015%20Sweet%20Potato%20Juice/HTML/index.htm 21 August 2015 Sweet Potato Juice
Ten pounds of sweet potatoes were purchased from a local farmer and processed into 14 liters of juice.The potatoes were washed, trimmed and cut into small chunks for cooking. Ten liters of water was added and the potatoes were cooked until soft,about 20 minutes, and blended into a slurry. Seven liters of the slutty was strained through a food mill and the other seven was canned without straining. There is almost no residue from the process.The liter jars were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage.The juice is sweet and most appetizing.
dsc_643521%20august%202015%20sweet%20potato%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ive had my potato I water but no slips yet!! I had to take out the tooth picks and put nails the potato kept falling
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only plant 1 sweet potato plant it gives me 100 lbs of potatoes and I donate them all to the homeless shelter. You can buy or grow slips from a grocery store potato or cut the end of a potato off and plant it after it starts to grow slips=vines. I plant 1 plant in the center of a 60 foot row in full sun. Sweet potatoes love hot weather and they don't care if soil is poor. I make 1 vine grow in each direction from center in that row east/west or north/south. As it grows longer cover the vine with dirt every 3 feet to make it rot there. Let the plant grow until frost kills it. The mother plant will produce about 30 lbs of potatoes and all the satellite spots will grow about 8 to 10 lbs of potatoes. When frost kills the plant I dig them up. I usually get 100 to 125 lbs of potatoes my soil has lots of clay but I add peat moss to make it better. We get 190 days of rain every year in TN. June, July, August 105 degrees with very little rain. I sometimes give plants 15/15/15 fertilizer. June July Aug clay soil is hard as cement so I water at sun down to soften the soil. Be sure to keep grass and weeds out of the row. My rows are 32" apart for the tiller. I only plant 1 row of sweet potatoes along with 2 rows of tomatoes, 3 rows of beans, squash, 1 row of melons planted just like I do sweet potatoes, bell peppers and other things.

Last edited:

Ask a Question