How can I use this years harvest of potato for next yr planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Potatoes

I'm growing Kennebec White and all looks good so far. I would like to try my hand at using my own potatoes for next years plant. After harvest, how do I need to prep and store for next years plant? I did do a search and nothing popped out that seems to pose this question.

Thank you for any help. DanO.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I often use this year's potatoes for next year's seed. I store in a cool dark place and they usually keep until planting time in early May. The advantage of using purchased seed is it is usually disease free, whereas you personal crop may not be. Bear in mind your own crop system was always practiced for personal use until relatively recently.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
let me add on one more question. Can left over seed potatoes be kept for the following year if stored as you mentioned ?

Also could you reword your last sentence? I'm not sure what you meant. "Be in mind your own crop system was always practiced for personal use until relatively recently." ?

DanO

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Potatoes can only be stored for about six months under ideal moisture and temperature conditions. They get soft and sprout if stored for long periods.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A fellow allotmenteer has stored some of his harvested potatoes to use as seed for 15 years, since the variety (Concord) was removed from sale.
He keeps them in his garage.
Going a little soft does not preclude usage.

Ask a Question