Holes in the dirt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm growing flowers in several raised beds. I keep seeing many holes next to the seedlings. I don't see any damage to the plants... yet. Does anyone know what these are from? And are the creatures making them a danger to the plants?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first picture looks like where an armadillo or a skunk has been digging. The second picture looks like charcoal where something burned. Skunks and armadillos both can damage plants by digging them up while looking for worms and grubs but don't intentionally harm plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
In my area, squirrels are the culprit. But they don't leave the plant like that. They pull them out, and they dig up bulbs. You may have to out a fence around it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys for your quick response. Much appreciated.
But I now realize the posted photos are deceptive :eek: since they don't give any sense of size. The holes are about 1/2" wide, so I imagine they are from some subterranean insect. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you guys for your quick response. Much appreciated.
But I now realize the posted photos are deceptive :eek: since they don't give any sense of size. The holes are about 1/2" wide, so I imagine they are from some subterranean insect. Any ideas?
If holes are that size lizards make holes all over my garden and lay their eggs in holes like that. They will even climb up a fabric container and dig a hole. I have a LOT of lizards from at least 3 species.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If holes are that size lizards make holes all over my garden and lay their eggs in holes like that. They will even climb up a fabric container and dig a hole. I have a LOT of lizards from at least 3 species.

Cool. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that. But no damage to the plants, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that. But no damage to the plants, right?
Nope, no damage to plants. They will dig a hole, crawl in it, lay their eggs, come back out and then cover up the hole. When the baby lizards hatch they will dig their way out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found out what's making the holes. Not lizards, (I think it's too cold here in CT) but frogs. I stuck my finger in one of them and lifted the dirt and at the bottom I found a little frog (or toad?). Could this be what is eating the roots of my seedlings and leaving the rest of the plant alone? Something is doing that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found out what's making the holes. Not lizards, (I think it's too cold here in CT) but frogs. I stuck my finger in one of them and lifted the dirt and at the bottom I found a little frog (or toad?). Could this be what is eating the roots of my seedlings and leaving the rest of the plant alone? Something is doing that.
No, frogs and toads are carnivorous and don't eats any parts of plants. They eat any insects, worms or caterpillars associated with plants. Do you have moles or voles? They love roots but then so do grubs.

Ask a Question