Pothus holes in leaves

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi all, I'm new here and new to grow plants.About 3 weeks ago I got a pothus plant which I had to repot as the pot was small due to the plant was large.i used all purpose compost for repoting . Now some leaves are having holes and some brown tips U googled and it could be or lack of water or over water . I didn't give to much water for sure as it didn't even come out from the holes. Shall I water till it get drained ? Or is it another issue? Thanks

Attachments

• 20201020_191544.jpg
    20201020_191544.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201020_191521.jpg
    20201020_191521.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 112
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Nenu and welcome to the forum :) Maybe your plant did not like being re potted. The very best time for this is in the springtime.

This is quite an easy plant to grow, and as long as it is not in direct sunshine it should be happy. It will need light, but not direct light from the sun. Can you look carefully and see if there are any insects eating the leaves?
If it does not pick up in a week or so, it might be a good idea to prune it back a little bit while it picks up.
I used to live in Sliema many years ago, and if I remember rightly the weather will be cooling down slightly about now ??

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hello Tetters, thanks for your reply,you are right as the weather right now will be getting cooler. The plant is not in direct sunlight it's a meter apart from a window. I will prune the plant and see what happens. So it's not a matter of watering that some leaves have like burning tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find that brown tips on leaves is usually due to very dry air, for example, I had a plant here with a similar problem because the central heating had been switched on (I think) and no matter how much I sprayed it with cold water, the leaves were turning brown.
I gave the plant a telling off and shoved it outside in a cold greenhouse, where it is as green as can be with loads of lovely new leaves :rolleyes:
The plant you have chosen to start with is a good one because it is relatively easy to care for and the plant will teach you much if you let it.
If you do prune it back a bit I suggest that you make a few cuttings - then you will have more plants for free.
Another easy plant to learn on is the spider plant -
1603269145147.png
Chlorophytum comosum. It is easy to make new plants with this one - just pull off the babies and plant them ;)

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I was told that it is due to the soil I used as it is all purpose compost soil not potting soil .Shall I repot it again.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot see any reason at all not to use all purpose compost. What is the definition of potting soil?
I like to make my own which is peat based with vermiculite and a handful on grit for drainage. Osmocote slow release fertiliser is the best in my opinion.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I don't honestly knows what is the difference as for me they are same. I'm still new in plants . What I can see us that the new pit lack from drainage holes so I did add more now. I will take some cuttings from it as you told me. Shall I take cuttings from large leaves as well ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drainage is very very important to all plants. Bad drainage could have caused all of the problems.
1603306495216.png
Here is a picture of some cuttings for guidance. I would plant the cuttings around a pot in compost, but many people root them by simply leaving them in a glass of water. They root easily.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Yes I did took some cuttings from another and placed them in water. They are around a week now and some of them started to show root.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
So shall I remove the plant and change soil as it could be very wet in the bottom so the roots won't rot?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I did repot it and the soil was very wet. I didn't water it now as the roots are still grabbing some soil which are still wet. Shall I leave it a bit like this without watering it ?

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Sorry but to be sure I won't make another mess I water now or leave a bit the remaining soil which was with the roots to dry a bit thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have cut it back and there is some moisture in the soil, I would leave the poor thing alone now to recover. Put it in a place with enough light and wait a couple of weeks.

Ask a Question