Holes in leaves and black clumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mona lavender that has thrived for the past few years suddenly has holes in the leaves and black clumps. Even on close inspection, the clumps don’t look like clearly defined insects. I recently bought some new plants and am worried I spread something to it. What is this and how can I treat it/keep it from spreading?

Attachments

• 0BF51844-FB42-4E6B-9651-4732647E97C8.jpeg
    0BF51844-FB42-4E6B-9651-4732647E97C8.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My mona lavender that has thrived for the past few years suddenly has holes in the leaves and black clumps. Even on close inspection, the clumps don’t look like clearly defined insects. I recently bought some new plants and am worried I spread something to it. What is this and how can I treat it/keep it from spreading?
We need better pictures especially of the "clumps". It is probably insect or worm poop but it could also be something else altogether.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, caterpillar poop. The very best thing for caterpillars is a product containing Bt (Bacillus thuringensis). It is sold just about everywhere. It is an organic product completely safe for pet and humans. Most brands have names like Bt Worm Killer. The only thing even close to bad about Bt is that it only kills caterpillars. Nothing else. The second best caterpillar killer is another organic product that contains Spinosad. Spinosad is also organic and safe for pets and humans. It is also widely available. It kills most insects plus caterpillars. It takes 2 days for spinosad to kill caterpillars where it takes 6 hours for Bt. That looks like a tomato plant and if so the caterpillar is a Tomato Hornworm Caterpillar.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I was thinking it was caterpillar poop too.. Same thing with my plant.. saw half eaten leaves and these black seed like or poop like stuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pick them off with your hands if you have good eyes. Their hard to see and can hide for long time.

Ask a Question