holes in dahlia leaves...see pictures below

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have only seen a couple of earwigs a few weeks ago, nothing since. I've gone out at night and cannot find anything on the plants. Have put slug bait down, DE, and applied vaseline on the stems, beer traps and vegetable oil came up empty as well. Any ideas what is causing this and what to do.

Attachments

• P1030190.JPG
    P1030190.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,823
  • P1030193.JPG
    P1030193.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 3,737
  • P1030195.JPG
    P1030195.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,572
  • P1030192.JPG
    P1030192.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,821
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From this site. http://www.gardeninginfozone.com/plant-pests-and-diseases-affecting-dahlia-plants

"Capsid Bugs. This is an insect that we very rarely see unless we look carefully for it, because any slight movement or noise will make it drop to the ground. About 1/4in. in length, it is green in colour, almost of the same shade as the dahlia leaves, and therefore very difficult to detect. These insects pierce the stems, young leaves and young buds. If the young leaves have been attacked, small pinholes will start to appear in them as they grow, and in a severe attack the leaves will be completely riddled. In this case it is best to remove the affected leaves. If growing tips are attacked, the resultant growth will be distorted. BHC should be applied regularly throughout the season."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
BHC (Lindane) in many places is illegal. It is not been made in the US since 1977. It is harmful to animals and humans. It also is absorbed into the soil and affects ground water. About the only thing it is still used for is as a seed coating. If you want to make your garden a toxic dump use it. Otherwise spinosad works very well on any chewing, biting or sucking insect and is harmless to humans, animals and the environment. Don't believe me? Google lindane and read all about it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You are absolutely right Chuck. I was just quoting the article of what the problem could be. Not their practice of using harmful chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are absolutely right Chuck. I was just quoting the article of what the problem could be. Not their practice of using harmful chemicals.
Doesn't it kind of make you wonder where some of the gardening sites/blogs get their info? Next I expect to see Rotenone for your backyard fishpond as the way to get rid of mosquitos. I looked up Caspid bug and low and behold I have them sometimes. I always thought they were just another flavor of stink bugs. I find them on my peaches mostly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
From this site. http://www.gardeninginfozone.com/plant-pests-and-diseases-affecting-dahlia-plants

"Capsid Bugs. This is an insect that we very rarely see unless we look carefully for it, because any slight movement or noise will make it drop to the ground. About 1/4in. in length, it is green in colour, almost of the same shade as the dahlia leaves, and therefore very difficult to detect. These insects pierce the stems, young leaves and young buds. If the young leaves have been attacked, small pinholes will start to appear in them as they grow, and in a severe attack the leaves will be completely riddled. In this case it is best to remove the affected leaves. If growing tips are attacked, the resultant growth will be distorted. BHC should be applied regularly throughout the season."

Do you think that the capsid bug is destroying the entire leaf. As you can see from the pictures, some of the leaves have very large holes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you think that the capsid bug is destroying the entire leaf. As you can see from the pictures, some of the leaves have very large holes.
That would be my guess. If the leaves are completely riddled, remove the entire leaf.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have only seen a couple of earwigs a few weeks ago, nothing since. I've gone out at night and cannot find anything on the plants. Have put slug bait down, DE, and applied vaseline on the stems, beer traps and vegetable oil came up empty as well. Any ideas what is causing this and what to do.

Update: Two days ago we found a couple more earwigs and we are now spraying with insecticide soap.

Ask a Question