Aerating - filling holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When aerating should you fill the holes or leave them. if filling them what should you use

thank you in advance

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can put compost or composted manure in them and it will help the soil a lot . I would just top dress the whole yard with compost after the aeration.

P

Peace perfect peace

Sand and the soil you removed, mix both until they're ready to be brushed into the holes using a good stiff brush and then water, wait a while and the mix would have settled and may need a repeat of this "filling and brushing", you should have plenty of the mix to do the job and some left over,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My yard is so big, not gonna brush by hand. How do you spread that much compost? I cannot imagine it being moist at all to spread well.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Dirt Mechanic,
Your reading what ive said wrong,
the 4inch compost over growing area"s ie borders is the way a lot of gardeners keep weeds down,
If you've a big area then it'll take you time to build up such an amount
And this is why its a life saver for the large area"s, The more ground you cover and slow down thge weed growing time , The more time you have to do other things;

Now ref spreading sand/compost in the holes after you've made the holes,
Then do one smaller area at a time,

I never said gardening was easy,

I live for my country life style and enjoy both learning new ways and never get to the stage we're i think " Im not enjoying this anymore"
If i did then its time to do things a bit differently,
Im pleased we have such a large amount of good machines /tools these days that make a lot of the jobs a lot less labour tiring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi Dirt Mechanic,
Your reading what ive said wrong,
the 4inch compost over growing area"s ie borders is the way a lot of gardeners keep weeds down,
If you've a big area then it'll take you time to build up such an amount
And this is why its a life saver for the large area"s, The more ground you cover and slow down thge weed growing time , The more time you have to do other things;

Now ref spreading sand/compost in the holes after you've made the holes,
Then do one smaller area at a time,

I never said gardening was easy,

I live for my country life style and enjoy both learning new ways and never get to the stage we're i think " Im not enjoying this anymore"
If i did then its time to do things a bit differently,
Im pleased we have such a large amount of good machines /tools these days that make a lot of the jobs a lot less labour tiring.
It just rained a good bit and I have a pull behind plug aerator and I do believe I need to step on out there and get it done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok that was a few hours of semi-muddy fun. The grass is long so when I mulch it will be a green manure type deal for the holes. I had fertilized earlier too so that is good. I thought to dethatch it but I did a big one for the fall seeding of fescue and its not that thick. So I punched it with 160lbs on the pull behind and we will see what happens. I had seeded burmuda and centipede when it finally started warming in late May so even some of those slow starters may show up in the holes. I have seen it happen before. With fescue as well. I have St Aug, Centipede, Fescues (inc red), Burmuda and I am trying to get some Bahia going in one sun anvil dry area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok so I geeked and got out the power rake for dethatching. I told myself I was only gonna do the small area in the westernish front of the fence out by the street and the thin strip along the south side of the driveway.

OMG.

I had to get the pull behind lawnsweeper out. I would have lost a bet on the amount of thatch a fescue lawn can put out in 9 months.
Here is a picture of my power rake. https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/stihl-mm-55-dethatcher-kit.16538/

Last edited:
P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Dirt Mechanic,
I still use the old tine "pull yourselfe method, But i must admit i like the look of that giant tooth pick one you've got,
As ive said pre our chat ref this subject, you can grow old and still do lots & lots of the heavy work thanks to modern machines,
Thanks for the photo and the idea for future "buy's" (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The guy that put the sprinkler system in, at my old house, said they use sand in the holes from cores. Spread over lawn & rake.
It helps the water go farther down & the roots seek it which makes them longer & healthier.
His main job was making golf courses around the world & seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The guy that put the sprinkler system in, at my old house, said they use sand in the holes from cores. Spread over lawn & rake.
It helps the water go farther down & the roots seek it which makes them longer & healthier.
His main job was making golf courses around the world & seemed pretty knowledgeable.
This is further proof that internet advice works for everyone but me. We have this gnarly clay that gloms onto sand particles and makes a beautifully hard conglomerate. What I need are some animals to pass away in it because I am sure it would preserve a fossil in a next level fashion.

Ask a Question