Filling in a shady lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had a tree removed earlier this year and all the bare soil filled in with creeping charlie and about nothing else. I'm not a manicured lawn person but I would prefer it to be greener. The rest of my lawn area is very lush; I have dogs but no yellow spots or anything. My grass is mostly native plus whatever else comes up so it is pretty sturdy.

I will be asking at my fave local garden center but in the meatime tricks and tips? Do it now or wait until spring? Spread good seed and straw to deter birds?

This area is off my back deck and mostly shade.
20170826_171612.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Nature's time for sowing grass seed is Autumn and this is the best time, to fill in some bare patches I recommend mixing a handful of grass seed in a 2 gallon bucket of compost mix well together and spread over lightly forked area water well unto seed germinates unless it rains beforehand of course.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a couple of weeks, mid September, is perfect for lawn repairs, etc. :)
Before applying seed hoe out or weedkill any weeds and rake several times to achieve a fine tilth ...firming too, with your heels, so that the area is level with surrounding grass. Raking and sowing into the surrounding area helps the new area integrate well.
To prevent birds taking the seed cover with fleece. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! Easy enough, then, I'll just need to get a sturdy shade blend of seed.

@Verdun ...you mean fleece, as in from sheep? Not many sheep around here and I think my mastiff would eat fleece, no joke. What I see around here is people putting a layer of straw over new seeds to deter birds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Something new to learn today, @Beth_B ! Try to do if just before or after it rains. Mother nature will give you a helping hand .. I'm sure you know this trick.

Ask a Question