Shady baskets

Reaction score
I have just moved to a new house, and I really want to make the entrance more welcoming. I have put some hanging brackets on each side of the front door and I'm ready to plant up some baskets. My problem is that this is a shady area that never gets any sun.

Which plants would you recommend for hanging baskets that grow well in the shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How about some ivy? The variegated stuff would look lovely hanging down from a basket!

Reaction score
Maybe ornamental sweet potato? The yellow/green chartreuse colored leaves are more vibrant in full sun but they will do well in shade also. Maybe you could pair it with a bright/hot pink colored flower for a real eye catching appeal.Or you could pair the dark purple color sweet potato plant with yellow flowers. The sweet potato plants are low maintenance but they do grow rather quickly, maybe not as much in the shade, so you will need to cut them back occasionally.

Reaction score
@ Becky - Thank you for the suggestion. Ivy would be a lovely trailing plant for baskets and it can grow anywhere. It's very pretty too. Reminds me of being a child and going for 'adventures'. There was lots of ivy growing around the woodland where I lived!

@ Rhondi - Thanks for suggesting ornamental sweet potato, I wouldn't have thought of that. I believed that it needed full sun, so it's good to hear that it can also survive in shade. I really appreciate your colour suggestions - I don't have much of an eye for colour personally, so this was really helpful.

Ask a Question