Compost Tumbler Ventilation Holes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm new to composting and compost tumblers in general, but I am currently working on a DIY rain barrel tumbler composter, and I am seeing mixed or limited explanations for the best ventilation method you can create in your barrel. It appears most are just drilling holes into the barrel, but the size of the hole and how many seems to vary for the same size barrel. I'm just looking for a common answer from people who have been successful using a DIY rain barrel tumbler.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
While the Romans were kind of famous for pots full of mystery sludge that they put on fields, an older population in the Amazon was doing the same thing, ashes, foodscrapes and probably human waste went into the pot and then to the fields. The charcoal and ashes had to help the smell I imagine. Anyway, it was once the pots got to the fields that magic started happening, and that is mainly because of lowly oxygen. Without oxidation, nothing really happens. Low oxygen environs at the bottom of the sea are amazingly preservative, though certainly wet. The holes you are making will serve up air and compost tea, also very useful fluid as a carrier for garden soil goodies. Add sugar and it benefits a more bacterial tea, add protiens (amino acids) and you will see a more fungal oriented tea. Some folks like the fungi as there is a proven path for phosporus uptake improvements in a mycelial soil. So think drainage because airspaces are necessary. And,,, you will be onto something already sold as potting soil in the stores. Temps are important too, warm is good for the process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Whups my edit time expired so here is a second post and thought about your machine. It would be hard to say specifically based on the variety of things to be composted, so my general usage mechanical inkling would be to make holes on the lateral lines with a spigot center in the end where the solid body can then hold liquids if you wish, and decant them. (Is it just a lid that comes off or a split barrel type?)Or should you have some dry materials you wish to soak, you may make it hold water. Or should you spin it where the lateral holes are placed top and bottom it will drain and breathe.

Ask a Question