Rotating compost tumbler?

Reaction score
I live in a small apartment (in a small complex), with a small cement patio in the front (where most of my plants are) and back. I want to start composting in the back patio. When researching options, I settled on a compost tumbler. The fact that it rotates supposedly makes composting easy, and I've seen some compact versions.
However, I worry that they might be more expensive than other options. Is the cost worth it?
I'm also slightly worried about the smell. I know that when done right, compost shouldn't smell - but because there are patios on all three sides of mine, I still worry about a potential smell bothering my neighbors.

Do you think this is my best option, or are there others to consider?

Reaction score
I have a rotating compost tumbler, but it is in my garden, away from the house. I don't know about the smell, but I do have a problem with leakage. I add water every so often, in addition to the natural juices of the compost, and it leaks out the bottom of the tumbler. Mine is black, so it heats up fast to enable composting. Another problem I have noticed is that in the cool winter, there are gnats in the tumbler. They may be a bother to you or your neighbors.

Ask a Question