Hi and west wall ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I would say i like pottering in the garden and my rear garden is palm trees, banana plants, ferns and grape vines so I would say I’m a beginner. My question is that I have a west facing wall which soaks up the evening sun. It used to have a couple of hawthorn bushes growing in front of it but they were a pain to keep cutting and stuck out onto the drive too much. So what can I grow on it. I would like something that looks fairly neat and was thinking of some kind of espalier fruit tree. Any suggestions or alternatives would be great. I’m good with occasional pruning to keep it looking neat

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
France
Hi all, I would say i like pottering in the garden and my rear garden is palm trees, banana plants, ferns and grape vines so I would say I’m a beginner. My question is that I have a west facing wall which soaks up the evening sun. It used to have a couple of hawthorn bushes growing in front of it but they were a pain to keep cutting and stuck out onto the drive too much. So what can I grow on it. I would like something that looks fairly neat and was thinking of some kind of espalier fruit tree. Any suggestions or alternatives would be great. I’m good with occasional pruning to keep it looking neat
Hello! Your garden with its palm trees, banana trees, ferns, and vines must be magnificent. For your west-facing wall, an espalier would be perfect. Fruit trees like apple or pear trees, trained as espaliers, not only maximize space but also provide an aesthetic and orderly appearance. They benefit from the warmth of the wall for better fruit ripening. You can opt for dwarf varieties which are easier to manage and prune. Good luck with your gardening project!”

Ask a Question