Herbicide free weed control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't know much about organic gardening, but this sounds really great to me. If I ever decide to get rid of weeds, I will use something like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
This sounds like a great idea for getting rid of weeds in an area where you want nothing to grow. Unfortunately it's not going to be much help when the weeds are growing close to plants one wants to keep. Our lawn is overrun with weeds and our garden service chooses to mow them instead of trying to remove them, which no doubt spreads the seeds around and makes the problem even worse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sounds like a great idea for getting rid of weeds in an area where you want nothing to grow. Unfortunately it's not going to be much help when the weeds are growing close to plants one wants to keep. Our lawn is overrun with weeds and our garden service chooses to mow them instead of trying to remove them, which no doubt spreads the seeds around and makes the problem even worse.
If you mow often enough to not let the weeds go to seed you will not have weeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
If you mow often enough to not let the weeds go to seed you will not have weeds

How often is often enough? Our lawn is usually mowed once a week, but probably less in winter when it turns brown and strawy. Unfortunately the weeds have already taken over and I don't think that mowing will ever get rid of them all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How often is often enough? Our lawn is usually mowed once a week, but probably less in winter when it turns brown and strawy. Unfortunately the weeds have already taken over and I don't think that mowing will ever get rid of them all.
Most weeds are annuals meaning they come back from seed and if you are mowing once a week then the weeds that are coming back are perennials meaning that they come back from the roots. You must first identify the weed and then research to find out how to eliminate it. If your lawn care person doesn't understand get a new lawn care person

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Mowing them down doesn't spread the seed, per se. If they are cut before they go to seed you can prevent them self-seeding and creating new plants in your garden, but some wild plants grow on runners underground regardless of what you do above ground and need to be dug up. Even pulling them won't help because if you don't get the entire "root" they can grow back and spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Mowing them down doesn't spread the seed, per se. If they are cut before they go to seed you can prevent them self-seeding and creating new plants in your garden, but some wild plants grow on runners underground regardless of what you do above ground and need to be dug up. Even pulling them won't help because if you don't get the entire "root" they can grow back and spread.

I suppose that's what's happening here and I haven't the time or energy to find a solution. The garden service has let it get so bad that I doubt our lawn can be saved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I suppose that's what's happening here and I haven't the time or energy to find a solution. The garden service has let it get so bad that I doubt our lawn can be saved.

I'm sure the lawn can be saved. You may have to dig up parts of it to control the unwanted weeds, but feeding and reseeding should help the grass take back its growing space from the other plants. How large of an area is it? Could you manually attack the problem or would you need heavier equipment? May be time for a different garden service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I'm sure the lawn can be saved. You may have to dig up parts of it to control the unwanted weeds, but feeding and reseeding should help the grass take back its growing space from the other plants. How large of an area is it? Could you manually attack the problem or would you need heavier equipment? May be time for a different garden service.

It's quite a large area, so it would be quite a big job. The suggestion that it's time for a different garden service is probably a good one, but we may be moving in a few months' time anyway and there's so much else to do that I can't be bothered to go to all the trouble.

Ask a Question