Help with Pothos and Philodendron

Reaction score
Country
United States
This summer, I made some cuttings of my Pothos and Philodendron, in hopes of propagating them. When I did this, the water roots took about a month to grow, and in the process many leaves fell off. The result is that the ones I tried to propagate and repot look very scraggly now, compared to their mama plants. Any advice on how to make this better? I want my plants to be full and lush, not scraggly. See photos of the process.

They live in a sunroom (no windows on the ceiling, but the south wall is a 1 big window and the larger west-facing side is all windows. No windows on the north side). Lots of bright indirect light all year round, but I live in the PNW, so there are lots of clouds and not much light in the winter. Some direct light when the sun is shining through the windows. Temps get up to 90 degrees in the summer (but good ventilation with breezes blowing through), down to 40s in the winter. I use a soil moisture monitor and water whenever the plant is totally dry.

Any advice?

Attachments

• plants - 16.jpg
    plants - 16.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 349
  • plants - 34.jpg
    plants - 34.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 355
  • plants - 39.jpg
    plants - 39.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 350
  • plants - 44.jpg
    plants - 44.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 387
  • plants - 45.jpg
    plants - 45.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 339
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am very new but I take way smaller cuttings to make plants for my Chameleon enclosures, I have had great success keeping the newly rooted cuttings in fairly damp soil at all times paired with good light and misting, the only other thing I do is a plant food every 3rd week. This is only what I have found, I am no expert.

Beautiful plants! I love how long they are!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a, 5b
Country
United States
I love to propagate my Philodendron Plants, & do so at least once a year. I usually take long cuttings, but I do not put so many in the same water jar to get them to form roots. I also remove any leaves that turn yellow of start to wither as they do so. I make sure my jar has plenty of water all the time, & I let them grow the roots for quite a while, & not just to when they start to grow roots in the water. Once I have a good root system growing in the water, I move them to commercial House planting soil that has some fertilizer already in it for slow release over several months. Once I transplant them into the soil, I keep these plants with moist soil always. I do not really ever let them go completely dry. I find my plants like water, but I live in Central Colorado & our atmospheric humidity is very low!!! I do not know where PNW is, so I am not sure about your humidity in your environment. We do reach temperatures into the 90's and a rare 100 degree F. day. Our night temps are cool though, & winters here are snowy, cold (can go below 0 degrees F. occasionally). But we are at an altitude of 7,100 ft. above sea level, which makes it drier here. (y);):)

Ask a Question