Help - Voles devouring my lettuces.

Reaction score
While I was building my house I must have caught 500 or so of Mice & Voles, I used to leave large plastic milk bottle on its side with some food in the bottom. They'd soon get used to going in it.

It was just a question of sitting still till they went in and then just picking the bottle up.

Voles are really cute :)

Totally agree with you, the ones I've seen are seriously cute, which is why I don't want to actually kill them, but get them to move away - the further the better :D

Must have taken a long time to build your house then Zigs - especially if you had to sit around, waiting for the voles to go into the plastic milk bottles, hope it was summer and not winter, - sorry, but my mind is currently conjuring up a very amusing picture on this one, :LOL:
As far as I was aware, voles are not particularly social animals, and prefer to party, when no else is around :D but wow, thats a hell of a lot of voles and mice you caught :) how long did you have to sit still for, to catch that number ?:giggle:

Out of curiosity what kind of food did you use to entice them into the milk bottles ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Took over a year, building regulations made me underpin the place, so that ate up all the budget & I had to do the whole lot myself, wiring, plumbing, plastering etc.

They didn't take long to catch, usually caught them while I was having a fag break. They do fight with each other, not like mice. Heard a scratching coming from my Son's toy box one morning, caught 12 of them snuggled up inside one of his toys.

I was in bed one night with my arms under the pillow, felt a mouse or vole crawl the entire length of my arms.

It was a relief when I finally got the place rodent proofed :D

Reaction score
Here in the states we had moles and I got rid of them permanently. I was rather mean about it and used Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum. They love the smell and taste of mint and well they would eat the gum and it would kill them. After they died the family would move on. I hope you get rid of them.

Reaction score
Here in the states we had moles and I got rid of them permanently. I was rather mean about it and used Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum. They love the smell and taste of mint and well they would eat the gum and it would kill them. After they died the family would move on. I hope you get rid of them.

We appear to have both moles and voles here, but its the latter that are causing me a big,big problem and am still trying desperately, to get rid of them, especially as they now seem to be increasing numbers, either that or their appetites are getting bigger, as they are currently devouring large clumps of my chard on a very regular basis.

Even though I hadn't actually wanted to kill them, your suggestion of the chewing gum, have to say - does have a certain appeal :D
I'm assuming that, although these creatures have a liking for the taste and smell of mint, it can't be just any mint product that you use, as its probably the gum that causes their demise.

How did you administer the chewing gum, did you just place the tasty morsels in the entrance of their tunnels, or did you have to try and lure them into eating the gum, by placing it in something like a container and do you know - is it only Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum that they like, or will they eat any gum so long as it is mint flavored ?:D

Reaction score
Here in the states we had moles and I got rid of them permanently. I was rather mean about it and used Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum. They love the smell and taste of mint and well they would eat the gum and it would kill them. After they died the family would move on.
We appear to have both moles and voles here, but its the latter that are causing me a big,big problem and am still trying desperately, to get rid of them, especially as they now seem to be increasing numbers, either that or their appetites are getting bigger, as they are currently devouring large clumps of my chard on a very regular basis.

Even though I hadn't actually wanted to kill them, your suggestion of the chewing gum, have to say - does have a certain appeal :D
I'm assuming that, although these creatures have a liking for the taste and smell of mint, it can't be just any mint product that you use, as its probably the gum that causes their demise.

How did you administer the chewing gum, did you just place the tasty morsels in the entrance of their tunnels, or did you have to try and lure them into eating the gum, by placing it in something like a container and do you know - is it only Wrigley's Spearmint chewing gum that they like, or will they eat any gum so long as it is mint flavored ?:D

Yes the gum is what kills them. I just opened up a few pieces and stuck them in the holes that I found. I put one piece per hole and I think I had 3 holes at the time. As long as it is minty they should like it. I did it several years ago and within one week they were gone and I never saw them again the entire three years that I lived there afterwards. Pesky little buggars!

Reaction score
Shellyann

Thought it was and from the sound of it works extremely quickly :) I do however seem to have a lot more than three holes though, so maybe it would take a little longer but either way, many thanks for the suggestion and would very much agree with your description of them - but think that the words, that I would choose to use, would be far stronger than yours, and would therefore require a considerable amount of censoring :D so for now will have to remain in my mind.

Reaction score
@gata montes LOL I understand. I am sure I was saying several strong words when I was dealing with them as well. It sounds as if you have an entire community not just one family. Go ahead and go chewing gum crazy on them! Stick a piece of gum in each hole. You will be surprised that it should not take long to get rid of them. Let me know how it works for you.

Reaction score
@gata montes LOL I understand. I am sure I was saying several strong words when I was dealing with them as well. It sounds as if you have an entire community not just one family. Go ahead and go chewing gum crazy on them! Stick a piece of gum in each hole. You will be surprised that it should not take long to get rid of them. Let me know how it works for you.

Glad you do, especially as it was pretty strong :D Oh yes - I definitely appear to have a very large community of voles, at least village size, and I shall for sure, be going chewing gum crazy, but think that due to the large numbers, I will require quite a large amount of chewing gum, and have to admit, I shall get quite a bit of enjoyment and amusement, out of the look of sheer surprise on peoples faces, when I go to buy - more than the average amount of chewing gum.

As you said it shouldn't take long - so hopefully it won't be long before I'm telling you that your tip was successful :)

Reaction score
Glad you do, especially as it was pretty strong :D Oh yes - I definitely appear to have a very large community of voles, at least village size, and I shall for sure, be going chewing gum crazy, but think that due to the large numbers, I will require quite a large amount of chewing gum, and have to admit, I shall get quite a bit of enjoyment and amusement, out of the look of sheer surprise on peoples faces, when I go to buy - more than the average amount of chewing gum.

As you said it shouldn't take long - so hopefully it won't be long before I'm telling you that your tip was successful :)

Oh gosh you really do have a huge problem don't you? Good luck and God speed! :D

Ask a Question