Help me in identifying these weird pests on my lemon plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see a close resemblance. I don't even see anything that looks like wings or antennae. if the OP can post some unambiguously close up and clear shots then I will take another look.

Reaction score
Country
India
Not being from India I cannot say with 100% certainty the exact name of what you are showing. In the first picture it shows a row of eggs which are from a type of leaf footed insect. The insects shown appear to be an instar of a parasitic wasp. The eggs are bad, the insects are good. Overall, I would not worry about the eggs or the insects as you have probably killed both with the Neem. However, you do have a serious problem with the nutrition of your plant. It is severely lacking in magnesium and/or manganese and probably nitrogen as well as evidenced by the green veins and yellow leaves shown in all of the pictures. This will greatly affect the production of your plant.
Thanks for sharing the info. I am a newbee gardener. Can you suggest some tips to take care of my lemon plant. Any recommendation for the fertilizers to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing the info. I am a newbee gardener. Can you suggest some tips to take care of my lemon plant. Any recommendation for the fertilizers to use.
I don't know what is available in India. The main thing you need at this time are micro-nutrients. There are 7 micro-nutrients that are essential for good plant growth. These are copper, zinc, iron, manganese, chlorine, boron, and molybdenum. The most reliable natural source for these are liquid seaweed and liquid kelp. Another excellent source is Chelated Iron but this product usually has some manmade ingredients and is not rated as organic. Then there are the macro-nutrients or NPK, which your normal regular fertilizer provides. These are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. I am strictly an organic gardener. I do not use any synthetic fertilizers. If I knew what is available in India I could advise but not knowing this I can't.

What your plant needs at this time is iron, manganese and probably nitrogen and magnesium. I would fertilize with a good NPK fertilizer and apply the micronutrients as directed until the leaves of the plant return to its normal green color and then periodically fertilize.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
India
I don't know what is available in India. The main thing you need at this time are micro-nutrients. There are 7 micro-nutrients that are essential for good plant growth. These are copper, zinc, iron, manganese, chlorine, boron, and molybdenum. The most reliable natural source for these are liquid seaweed and liquid kelp. Another excellent source is Chelated Iron but this product usually has some manmade ingredients and is not rated as organic. Then there are the macro-nutrients or NPK, which your normal regular fertilizer provides. These are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. I am strictly an organic gardener. I do not use any synthetic fertilizers. If I knew what is available in India I could advise but not knowing this I can't.

What your plant needs at this time is iron, manganese and probably nitrogen and magnesium. I would fertilize with a good NPK fertilizer and apply the micronutrients as directed until the leaves of the plant return to its normal green color and then periodically fertilize.
I was using the seaweed concentrate for around a year. But accidentally, 3 months back I happened to kill few of my plant by overuse of it. Not sure if it was overuse or I didn't maintain the concentrate at right temperature. But it killed my few plants. So I am little cautious about using fertilisers then onwards.
I was using this one: https://www.amazon.in/OrganicDews-Liquid-Seaweed-Extract-Measuring/dp/B00VASGL7W/
What do you suggest? Should I start reusing the seaweed extract or should I go with other organic options like a Vermi Compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was using the seaweed concentrate for around a year. But accidentally, 3 months back I happened to kill few of my plant by overuse of it. Not sure if it was overuse or I didn't maintain the concentrate at right temperature. But it killed my few plants. So I am little cautious about using fertilisers then onwards.
I was using this one: https://www.amazon.in/OrganicDews-Liquid-Seaweed-Extract-Measuring/dp/B00VASGL7W/
What do you suggest? Should I start reusing the seaweed extract or should I go with other organic options like a Vermi Compost.
Your plants MUST be fed. Liquid seaweed did not kill your plants, something else did. Perhaps if you poured an entire bottle onto a plant it might do something but Liquid seaweed is NOT a fertilizer. It is a soil amendment. Using too much synthetic fertilizer can kill a plant. By using organic fertilizers it is difficult to even damage a plant much less kill it. Not feeding your plant stresses the plant and invites all kinds of harmful things to attack it. From disease to insects, all will find your plant and the plant will be susceptible to whatever damage they can do as the plant does not have enough resistance to fight off whatever it is. You mentioned vermi compost. That is an excellent product but it does not have sufficient NPK to sustain good growth. What it does have is a LOT of beneficial soil microbes. These microbes are what breaks down the organic matter and fertilizer in the soil on a molecular level thus enabling the plant to uptake what nutrients there is in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I came across a video on youtube and thought of this thread. Are they potentially squash bugs? Looking at the photos makes my skin crawl!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. Below is another clearer pic I found online. The best one I could find.
I'll keep an open mind about those first pics from the OP, but they still look strangely distorted. Also, those nymphs aren't exactly matching the nymphs the American Squash Bug (Anasa tristis), but of course it could be a different species.
57676_medium.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I came across a video on youtube and thought of this thread. Are they potentially squash bugs? Looking at the photos makes my skin crawl!

Yes, they are. Those strange looking stick like bugs shown next to the eggs will turn into either those gray colored insects shown in the pics or into an orange colored insect with black legs which in turn will turn into either a squash bug or a leaf footed stink bug, at least here in the US they will. But, since the OP is in India and you are from Australia I am not familiar with your varieties of this insect but they are a form of stink bug or squash bug.

Ask a Question