Help identifying an unusual climber!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I just wanted to see if anyone could help me identify a plant in my garden.

I live in Norfolk and in August 2020 I took away some turf that had been there for approximately 6 years. I got a wildflower seed mix and sowed these in September 2020. The wildflower seed mix contained the following;

1. Bedstraw, Lady's
  2. Black Medick
  3. Burnet, Salad
  4. Buttercup, Meadow
  5. Campion, Red
  6. Campion, White
  7. Carrot, Wild
  8. Catchfly, Night-Flowering
  9. Chamomile, Corn
  10. Clary, Wild
  11. Corn Cockle
  12. Cornflower
  13. Cowslip
  14. Daisey, Ox-eye
  15. Forget-me-not, Field
  16. Foxglove, Wild
  17. Goatsbeard
  18. Knapweed, Common
  19. Knapweed, Greater
  20. Marigold, Corn
  21. Musk Mallow
  22. Poppy, Common
  23. Self-heal
  24. Sorrel, Common
  25. St John's-wort, Common
  26. Yarrow
  27. Yellow Rattle

Everything is now growing nicely. It's mainly Ox-eye Daisey at the moment with Cornflower and Corn Cockle starting to come out. However, I have noticed an unusual climber that has wrapped itself around some of the plants (see pictures). There's only two in a patch of wildflowers that it approximately 40ft by 5ft. So, I don't think it's one of the plants that was in the wildflower seed mix that I brought. I've also noticed that it has extremely small white flowers on it.

I would be grateful for any idea as to what it is?

Regards,

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_8514.JPG
    IMG_8514.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8515.JPG
    IMG_8515.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8516.JPG
    IMG_8516.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 48

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Matt :)

Good mix there (y) Doing a wildflower meadow here but up against drought, partridges and rabbits so not much came up.

Your pic looks like one of the vetches :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta @Mrsclem :) Can't find my book at the moment :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Same thought as Zigs. Alternate leaves and the tendrils. Problem, the flower. Vetch flowers are pea shape.

Think the flower is a feverfew in the background Mike, looks like a peaflower against Matt's finger :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks everyone. Having googled 'vetches' it's clearly one of those. My main concern was 'is it going to be an issue with my wildflowers and should I start pulling it up' but it doesn't appear to be the case. It's just another piece of variety as far as I'm concerned ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Matt :)

Good mix there (y) Doing a wildflower meadow here but up against drought, partridges and rabbits so not much came up.

Your pic looks like one of the vetches :)

Hi, thanks for the ID.

Fortunately, there is a lot of variety in the wildflower bed. It's just a case that everything appears to be quite late and the main flowers we have at the minute are Forget-me-nots (first to flower), Ox-eye Daisey, Corn flower, our first Corn Cockle very recently, yellow rattle, and buttercup.

I don't know about you but there's been a distinct lack of bees this year. Usually we trip over them but they've been really difficult to spot. That said, I have, just in the last week, started to see a slight increase (and in my wildflower bed which makes it all worth it).

All the best,

Matt

Ask a Question