Help identify a bush in my garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what this bush is please?

I like to understand how tall it is likely to grow, and how thick? Currently it is fairly "see through", and if it won't thicken up, I'll probably replace it.

Thanks, Patrick.

20210920_182329.jpg

20210920_182339.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

This is a Common Lilac (Syringa vulgaris). I wonder what will be the flower color. It could be let to get twice as tall as it is now. It can thicken out if not over-trimmed, but it is deciduous, so perhaps it does not meet your needs. It looks like there may be English Ivy (Hedera helix) growing beneath it. An unusual alternative to replacement would be to let the evergreen ivy clamber through the lilac for some winter leaf coverage.

It does have a touch of powdery mildew but nothing to worry about. When the leaves fall, it would be sanitary to remove them and replace with fresh mulch. Some would insist on carting the leaves offsite in a green bin, but I would just bury them in my compost.

Last edited:

Ask a Question