Help Identifying Garden Shrub/Bush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm trying to identify a plant that's growing in numerous places in my front garden. There are smallish ones growing in some of the flower beds and three very large ones growing out of removed slabs across the garden (the whole thing is currently paved with slabs). I want to fill my front garden with foliage, partly to produce a screen from the neighbours/road and so I'm trying to decide whether to dig these mystery plants up and replace them, or whether they need chopping back in order to grow better/bigger in the coming season.

I've been at the property for two years now and none of the bushes have grown higher than they currently are, the ones growing out of the paving slabs actually seem to be dying off/going yellow. I'm reluctant to give them the chop until I know what they are so thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gc

IMG_20200417_150827.jpg
IMG_20200417_150834.jpg
IMG_20200417_150844.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Nutsedge to me, it's just WEEDS. Ornamental grass has large stem seed brack that flowers heavy every year. I take a hoe to them and remove them before they drop seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks oneeye, I think you're right. Probably just something that popped up and was allowed to keep growing. I have decided to start cutting them back, turns out they are absolutely crammed full of dead stems from previous years.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure it nutsedge, it might be Carex pendula, Pendulois Sedge. Here in Devon it self seeds and become a right pain if it gets established. Big clumps need to be dug out, trying to pull them out results in shredded hands, or if wearing a stout pair of gloves a drawn tug of war.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks a lot like Miscanthus to me. The “sparkler” flower/seed heads are typical. A good cut back and cleaning should get it on its way to its normal vigorous self.

Ask a Question