Need help identifying this beauty from the local botanical garden.

Reaction score
Hello! I recently visited the Naples Botanical Garden and I came across this beautiful flower. I have no idea what it is, and I would really appreciate it if someone could possibly identify it for me!

IMG_0165.JPG

Thank you in advance for your help!

Reaction score
I'm having a very wild guess here :D and think that the plant in your photo, might be an Aristolochia Grandiflora, which is not only one of the Worlds largest climbing plants, but also one that has the largest flower and think it might also be known as a Pelican Flower.
The Aristolochia originates from the Caribbean and was introduced into The States to attract butterflies, and although it looks absolutely stunning when in flower, it smells disgusting close up, and is renowned for having the most unpleasant odor, which is described as - something similar to that of rotting flesh :(
So if the flower in your photo, when standing next to it - made you gag, it may well be an Aristolochia :D

Reaction score
Agree with gata montes......Aristolochia grandiflora.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristolochia_grandiflora

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aristolochia_grandiflora.JPG

The rotten smell is used to entice flies in.... to pollinate the flower.

Quote wiki......
."A. grandiflora is pollinated by breeding flies attracted by an odor produced from the flower. The odor is a combination of essential oils (geraniol[2] ). Flies travel down the tubular part of the flower to the utricle where the reproductive organs are found. The tube is lined with trichomes that direct the fly down to the utricle and prevent the fly from moving out. The reproduction contains three main phases. The first phase, the fly carrying pollen from other flowers pollinates the carpel. During the second phase, the stamen mature releasing pollen on the fly. This phase lasts one day. While trapped inside the flower, the fly eats nectar produced along the walls of the utricle. The trichomes then are signaled to wither, allowing for the fly to escape. The entire reproductive process lasts two days before flower senescences and abscises in the third phase.[3]"

Reaction score
OMG! That flower just looks amazing! I had never seen something like this in my life, and I assure you I've seen my good share of weird stuff so far :p But seriously... the pattern and the colour of this plant is truly remarkable. I can surely tell I have never seen something like this before. Glad we have some ladies here who know a lot about plants, even the ones that are super hard to identify ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
I just had to reply to this old thread...Since I am new here I have been snooping around a little bit. I just love this flower..I have one in my greenhouse for about 7 years. It grows where ever it wants. I know if I keep my nose out of it's business it will give me something so beautiful...The flower is like the burnt skin that you would peel off your back. It is so tender it will tear if you look at it wrong. After is flowers it goes to rest. Doesn't anyone else have one of these?

Ask a Question