Need help identifying a tree in our garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a tree in our garden which I'm having trouble identifying, so I was hoping that someone here might be able to help!

I've attached some photos of how it looks currently. It is deciduous, has white blossom in the spring, and the leaves go a beautiful bright red/orange in the autumn. It is quite unusual in that the blossom and leaves are very close to the branches, and there aren't many branches. It doesn't bush out with lots of small branches like lots of other trees do.

It seems to have grown quite a bit since last year so I'm interested to know what it's eventual size is likely to be!

Thanks for any help :)

tree 1.jpg

tree 2.jpg

tree 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
P.S. Can you see the visitor who was watching me?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply Silver Surfer! That's an interesting point about the red glands, I'd not noticed those before. I think you are right, although I can't remember seeing any fruit last year (there may have been some but perhaps they were very small) - I'm going to keep an eye out for fruit this year and try and get some photos, and I'll also try to take photos of the blossoms in the spring.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back Silver Surfer :)

I see you made it to Scotland, hope the move went well.

Reaction score
Thank you Ziggy!
Kind of you to notice!

House still chaotic... but we have the rest of our lives to get it organised!

Loving exploring this stunningly beautiful area of Britain!
It even has wonderful garden..... Branklyn. (NTS), Cluny, Glendoick, Cambo... to name 4 well known ones.
Many newly discovered plants were introduced to Britain, brought in by the famous Scottish Plant Hunters... eg David Douglas introduced Pseudotsuga menziesii.... common name Douglas fir. etc etc.

Have sent P.M.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
After a lot of thought, we took down the tree at the weekend :(

It feels like the right decision, the tree was getting so tall and bushy that it was blocking out the light for all the other plants below and to the right of it. We're going to replace it with something tall and thin. Perhaps with a different prunus - the Prunus 'Amanogawa':

8826082000926.jpg

Our neighbour has one and it is lovely :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion @Silver surfer :) We need to take out the adjacent laurel before we put anything else in, so might be the autumn before we can plant anything new.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Please give us a clue on whose watching. I'm playing "where's Wally" and I can't find him. I won't be able to sleep.:(

You can see her most clearly in the middle picture of my first post - there is a black cat on the fence behind the tree :D

Ask a Question