Help!!! corded or cordless lawn mower

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have a bumpy lawn and looking for an electric lawn mower now. If you use an electric one, please give me some review between corded and cordless. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cordless! I have the kobalt 80v and love it. Good run time and fast recharged (faster than I can deplete a battery) and powerful enough to cut through an overgrown lawn. Can't say enough good about it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
The Only drawback to cordless devices relies on charge cycles and the actual charging in itself. If you find yourself forgetful or unreliable to charge your batteries then you might have to wait for a charge before you can begin. The typical Recharge / Discharge number is approx 400 times with lithium ion before degradation below approx 70%. Also don't try to charge lithium ion batteries in temps under freezing or they will become irreparably damaged and need replacement. I dont know why you would need to mow in this kind of environment...

Cords in general suck though, you always have chance of running them over. On the plus side they use less electricity overall to do the same work. They operate with AC motors (mostly) instead of DC negating the need to transform power from AC to DC and step down voltage for charging.

For A small yard I would get a cordless unit and call it a day. In 3 years you can probably just buy a new battery for a reasonable price.

Full Disclosure I use an echo string trimmer as I have no lawn and It requires about 10 hours to complete 300' clearance around my house, garage and all structures on my property for fire clearance. I have tons of acreage so cordless electric would hinder my ability to finish everything at once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
I am enjoying no carb maint issues. Oil and lube issues are gone. Fall storage prep is gone. Spring fire up is gone. It is a pleasantly low energy scene. My wife cannot flood and electric motor for example.
I was looking into a kinetic electric flywheel log splitter for the same reasons. I never got one. I still split about 3 cords a year with a fiskars splitting axe, blood, sweat and iced tea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was looking into a kinetic electric flywheel log splitter for the same reasons. I never got one. I still split about 3 cords a year with a fiskars splitting axe, blood, sweat and iced tea.
That design seem very fast. I would be concerned at first for my fingers I would think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
guess it depends on the size of your lawn to be cut, and what electric outlets are around to recharge, how long the charge lasts for the size of your lawn etc. guess if I had a tiny area I might go with an electric.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
ohh thank you guys so much for your help. It will help my decision easier and I still look forward to some new review :>>
The batteries are interesting. More and more common knowledge is being posted on youtube. One vid I found interesting described not the equipment, but rather the battery differences. Since they are now the motor, its worth knowing.

Once a company called Echo came out with their first products. Nobody had used them or had a clue about differences between Li and the old batteries. Nobody knew there has to be a control board on a higher output Li or its a fire. People would hit the string trimmer and chainsaw in some wide open rpm moments that cause the battery to shut off. It wont risk high level uncontrolled discharge for safety reasons.

To reset, you simply press the battery button. But that was not clear in any instructions. The end result was market fluctuation where I bought a chainsaw and 5 new 4 amp hour 58v batteries for 200 bucks. I had learned the nuance on my trimmer already.

Now its how to replace a bad C cell instead of a 100-200 dollar battery, even if I got a deal. A little solder, a bit of tech and voila, defective battery renewal for 10 bucks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
If you ever need advice on battery tech I understand BMS, nicad, lead acid, lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate batteries real well. Like you were saying most of the time a single cell inside the battery fails causing a bad pack. If you want help just PM me, it seems as if you have it under control though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you ever need advice on battery tech I understand BMS, nicad, lead acid, lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate batteries real well. Like you were saying most of the time a single cell inside the battery fails causing a bad pack. If you want help just PM me, it seems as if you have it under control though.
This is very cool to know! Thanks for chirping up. I have my first go coming up. Echo 58v 4ah. Almost bet its the cells before a chip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
You could get real Frankenstein if it gives you issues and put a dc-dc converter in line to limit amp draw and lower voltage. Direct to a switch with a fuse. No more computer for operation although on or off power only without a rheastat. Still need the chip for charging though or fires can become a reality. Also try not to let the batteries get below 10% for too long. It damages the negative anode if stored that way. Best way to store lithium ion is between 40-60% charge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with "cordless" these days is, "lithium."

I can't comment on mowers, but my old electric golf trolley, had a lead/acid battery the same size and weight as an average car battery. When these need replacing, (used more frequently and for longer than a mower) they were about £50. My new leccy trolly has a lithium battery, I doubt if it weighs 2lb. Supposedly much longer lasting than a lead/acid one and so they should be, at £200 a pop.

So I'd suggest checking how much a battery replacement costs for a new cordless mower. Keeping in mind of course, the mower and battery can be stuck in the shed for six months at a time.

I've a bog standard Flymo with a cord. It's not a problem, I don't need a cordless mower.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The problem with "cordless" these days is, "lithium."

I can't comment on mowers, but my old electric golf trolley, had a lead/acid battery the same size and weight as an average car battery. When these need replacing, (used more frequently and for longer than a mower) they were about £50. My new leccy trolly has a lithium battery, supposedly much longer lasting than a lead/acid one and so they should be, at £200 a pop.

So I'd suggest checking how much a battery replacement costs for a new cordless mower. Keeping in mind of course, the mower and battery can be stuck in the shed for six months at a time.

I've a bog standard Flymo with a cord. It's not a problem, I don't need a cordless mower.
And thus the discussion about the battery types.

Whereas your lead acid had a fanlike array of plates..

These Li are groups of C and D cells with a motherboard....

My 4ah has 2x the C cells as my 2ah battery ..

But you are soldering replacement C cells. Digest that simplicity The cars are running on them. They are just packaged with a tiny computer.

Welcome to the new age.

Ask a Question