Hello

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI !IM NEW TO THE FORUMI am a self learning vegtable and flower gardener.still learning!.I have several rased beds for vegtables.one designated only to garlic😊.and various flowers around the yard.can anyone tell me where to get the best organic fertile raised bed soil near me

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy and still learning here after several decades of gardening.

The best organic fertile soil is that which you make/build yourself. 100% organic, 100% safe, and nutrient density scores approaching 100%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do you mean by organic? Stuff that contains carbon? Something that doesn't contain chemicals? Something not man made? Organic isn't a straight forward term really and seems to be misused.

The best organic fertile soil would be to add chemicalless compost to your soil. Compost is not soil so you can't use straight compost. If you think you can throw a banana peel from the grocery store in your compost pile and it be chemicalless, then I highly doubt that. You would have to create your own soil like Meadowlark said.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The things meadowlark didn't say.
To raise the bed dig out the soil and fill the hole with wood, then put compost, replace the soil, then grow a cover crop as green manure to dig in. The wood will retain moisture, while allowing drainage of too much water, as the wood and compost rot nutrients wick up to the surface.
YumYum is so right about 'organic', it is now almost meaningless.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, forgot to say,
Welcome to the forum !!
Also sorry to say I can't help you with where to get things locally, I am in the UK. But I would say think about improving what you have first, I don't know if it is the same in the US as in the UK, but top soil tends to be just what has been stripped prior to building something, and as people don't build on prime land on the whole it is usually not too wonderful. In fact I have seen some that is really rubbish. An awful lot of my gardening involves 'Making soil' one way or another.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus found a tall African marigold this year, good to be able to take that splash of colour further back in the border. I think that is 'impatiens', busy lizzie, one of those 'sounds like' words.

Ask a Question