Hello from Seattle, soon to be Colorado

Ostrodamus

Mercenary turned gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello all! Thanks for having me. As my bio suggests, I am a former military man and mercenary. I have now switched my focus from taking life, to creating it (albeit non-human). I will need ALL THE HELP on my journey. Also, I will be starting a job in the coming months working for a catering company who wants me to create a garden from the ground up. They are looking to eliminate the extra costs associated with ordering produce, and instead channel it towards a sustainable in-house garden.

I'll be requiring your expertise, gardeners!!

Thank you

Slava Ukraini!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... I will be starting a job in the coming months working for a catering company who wants me to create a garden from the ground up. They are looking to eliminate the extra costs associated with ordering produce, and instead channel it towards a sustainable in-house garden.
What a fabulous job!! Where do I sign up?

Welcome and thank you for your service.

Ostrodamus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you kindly. Does anybody know of any particular threads I should start with when it comes to building a medium/large size garden for "commercial" use? Would that be considered commercial use? Ugghhh I don't even know where to begin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big welcome to you from the UK. I love your avatar. I used to keep white doves many years ago, and they were super intelligent and great company at the time, I miss them!
I reckon it would be a good idea to have a browse through some of the threads to see where to start your new one. In particular from your nearer neighbours to start with who are more knowledgeable about your weather conditions. I assume that you will be growing vegetables primarily?
If that's the case, you won't go far wrong having a good look at Meadowlark's veggie garden - you will find a lot of very useful knowledge there in Eastern Texas.
Good luck with it all.:)

A good place to start!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'ay and nice intro.
You'll probably need a team to help you because a commercial vegetable garden is a big undertaking.
Soil enrichment, rotation planting, pest control, irrigation, tools and fencing.
It is an exciting and topical project so there is a lot of people doing similar things on YouTube.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, welcome to the forum, my old mate John the mercenary used to keep birds as well, but raptors. That was how we got to know him, my missus had a Bengalese eagle owl.
Do they already have land for the garden? Ideally you want somewhere with rich loam soil, South facing, with no trees; however I have heavy clay on a north facing slope with a huge oak at the end, and it is all still possible, just more work.

Ostrodamus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for all the warm welcomes and pointers alike. The birds in my avatar are actually a "tourist trap" in Kharkiv, Ukraine. What started as a "Would you like to hold my bird?", turned into "Hey! You owe me money for that!" lol.

Mostly vegetables and herbs I imagine, but that's also not totally clear right now. Let's say it's pending. The catering company already has land and a warehouse, I have seen photos but not measurements. I am also tracking down satellite images to get a better idea of what I'm working with and the surrounding area. I will update when I know more.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome @Ostrodamus
If you have clay or sandy soil it might be better to have raised beds. I watch a lot of YouTube videos about growing veg and some fruit. This guy lives in New jersey.
This guy is in the UK but he does raised beds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you kindly. Does anybody know of any particular threads I should start with when it comes to building a medium/large size garden for "commercial" use? Would that be considered commercial use? Ugghhh I don't even know where to begin.
Check out Burpee's web site -- they have a plot planner that's easy and quite useful, if you've never grown vegetables before. Lots of stuff is easy and some is hard. Easy are lettuces, radicchio, fennel, leeks, green beans, radishes (short season), spinach. Corn isn't hard but it takes a lot of space. Squash can be very rewarding, they like to run along the ground. I mean, it really depends what vegetables you're going to need. Tomatoes are -- tomatoes. They need space and lots of hot days, cool nights. I'd check with some local people how they are in the Colorado climate, because I have no experience there. Peas love cool weather, again -- short season. They mature and they're done.
Mulching is very productive in vegetable gardens. I'd locate a good source of mulch before you even start. I love grass clippings for veggies, but that may be hard to obtain there.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You could go to YouTube and check out;

1. 'Weed free market gardening' with Richard Perkins. A very large commercial garden that started small and grew.

2. 'Permaculture - self-sufficiency made easier using 12 principles' with Huw Richards. More personal gardening with an emphasis on health and the environment.

Ask a Question