Hello

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been interested in joining Gardening Forums for quite sometime. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here and with your help I am hoping to turn my brown thumb green.

I have been interested in gardening since I was knee high to an aphid. Perhaps a bit of a stretch. Suffice it to say for a long long time without much success. Now that I'm retired I can devote more time to this endeavor.

For starters, I always seem to pick the wrong locations for planting vegetables. I say wrong sites because my tree roots always end up enjoying these sites much more than my veggies. Then, in late fall of 2023 I decided to research raised beds and the one that appeared to suit my needs are horse or cattle troughs. I liked the idea of elevating them completely off the ground and out of reach from tree roots. I purchased a few of these troughs and placed them all in a designated location of my yard, drilled holes in the bottom, placed a layer of gravel in the bottom, landscape fabric above that, and a mixture of soil, and compost that had been curing for 8 month's or so, comprised of leaf litter, chicken manure, rabbit manure, and goat manure, oh, and lets not forget coffee grounds. I then added worm castings from the worm bin. Whew, that was a lot of work! Any who, I planted cool weather crops in January and protected them with heavy plastic. Low and behold, the plants are doing great... so far.

I hope to begin a thread on this topic so I can get input from folks who have, or are currently using this type bed.

Thanks for looking in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum.
It's almost as though tree roots smell out the good places, a bit like when they invade drains. Actually they simply grow faster when they find something good, if your drains are waterproof they won't get invaded, if your plot was useless they would stop at the edge. Anyway it sounds as though you have found a good solution, the only thing I wouldn't have used is the landscaping fabric, I have removed loads of that stuff where it has aged for a number of years and started to disintegrate. I try not to introduce plastic in my garden, even down to plant labels, I still find plenty creeping in.

Something to try, replace the bottom layer of gravel with wood, it drains well, but also retains a certain amount of moisture, and as it decays the nutrients wick up into the soil. Have a look at Meadowlark's thread on hügelkultur in containers. The real gain seems to be in the leafy veg. , but they all do better to some degree.

You could also check the PH , with your system you could have a bed for acid lovers and another for alkaline lovers. I would guess, from what you added, it is a bit acid to start. I use wood ash for alkalinity, it adds a few nutrients as well..

Keep posting, look forward to hearing what you are growing and how it is doing.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Meadowlark, Oliver buckle, & Mike121.

As for the fabric; I am a general contractor and this was always recommended for septic leach fields. If you look at the specs you'll see why. I have no vested interest in this company. I find something I like, I use it. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess there are probably various grades of the stuff, I have never used it, only removed it, usually when falling apart.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I tend to shy away from the standard stuff sold at big box stores or anything labeled as landscape fabric. This is why I opted for something different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your homegrown delicious vegetables like many who congregate here.

Ask a Question