Hellebores

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For those interested, the reason @alp said 3-4 years to flower is that as a shade plant the hellabore is just slow. On the other hand it is just an amazing plant for deep shade.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, DM, you've got me in a tight spot here! Naughty ex-Adonis!

I wouldn't say hellebores are exactly shade plants. I have them in south-east facing border and they flowered happily and chucked out babies like no tomorrow - more than 10. They say hellebores tolerate shade. dappled, not 100% as they prefer dry head and need sunshine to access their crowns and leaves cleared if you want to have a cluster of happy blooms.

Now, @Owdboggy might help me out of this very tight spot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'll ask if they carry Hellebores at the nursery when it opens for the season, in the meantime I'm following this thread trying to learn all that I can on how to care for this plants, so thank you for all the info!
smthanks.gif

I like the flower in your Avatar!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Like Alp we have them in all situations from full sun in a gravel bed with hardly any humus to deep shade in the Damson Wood.
These books are very good.
https://wordery.com/hellebores-c-co...5lacyqFDh4DMnQAS2CFg8HgNG_YPN0nRoCohgQAvD_BwE
https://www.worldofbooks.com/the-ga...1QttPbrqW6-Eu1-Eucr0rsKTmuaHAcURoCvooQAvD_BwE
Sorry about the length of these links. I think both books would be available in the USA.
I have had them flower in 2 years from seed, but that was in a very rich soil, in light shade. Generally 3 to 4 years is correct.
If you really want to be blown away by them look here.
https://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/shop/plants/hellebores.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like Alp we have them in all situations from full sun in a gravel bed with hardly any humus to deep shade in the Damson Wood.
These books are very good.
https://wordery.com/hellebores-c-co...5lacyqFDh4DMnQAS2CFg8HgNG_YPN0nRoCohgQAvD_BwE
https://www.worldofbooks.com/the-ga...1QttPbrqW6-Eu1-Eucr0rsKTmuaHAcURoCvooQAvD_BwE
Sorry about the length of these links. I think both books would be available in the USA.
I have had them flower in 2 years from seed, but that was in a very rich soil, in light shade. Generally 3 to 4 years is correct.
If you really want to be blown away by them look here.
https://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/shop/plants/hellebores.html
Thanks for your help! :)
unfortunately I just read that they're hardy to zone 6 to 9, that could be why they are not popular where I live
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ah, DM, you've got me in a tight spot here! Naughty ex-Adonis!

I wouldn't say hellebores are exactly shade plants. I have them in south-east facing border and they flowered happily and chucked out babies like no tomorrow - more than 10. They say hellebores tolerate shade. dappled, not 100% as they prefer dry head and need sunshine to access their crowns and leaves cleared if you want to have a cluster of happy blooms.

Now, @Owdboggy might help me out of this very tight spot!
Then I stand corrected by shades. Our hellebores exist in a decidious shade, where usda zone 8a intense sun is heavily blocked by summer leaves of the canopy but sunlight dappled by bare branches is the order of the winter months. They do seem happiest in the understory. Ours are in the ground outside along the driveway where it is hilly,well drained, and continously supplied with compost from the leaf litter that naturally falls as well as that which we blow of the driveway.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I see! You know the difference between Brits and Americans.. We are pasty skinned because of the lack of intense sunshine. Even where I live, 30c is about the maximum in summer.

You're quite right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ah, I see! You know the difference between Brits and Americans.. We are pasty skinned because of the lack of intense sunshine. Even where I live, 30c is about the maximum in summer.

You're quite right!

30c is our average summer temp. The spikes push 40c, and we can see 30c in the shade no problem. I wanted to thank you btw, I had inquired about shade plants once upon a time and you had a mention of hellabore. I did not know the plant was already in the ground here thanks to my wife, and I have enjoyed learning more about them since those days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
30c is our average summer temp. The spikes push 40c, and we can see 30c in the shade no problem. I wanted to thank you btw, I had inquired about shade plants once upon a time and you had a mention of hellabore. I did not know the plant was already in the ground here thanks to my wife, and I have enjoyed learning more about them since those days.

40c:eek::eek::eek:! Now you put me off visiting your country! Even Missouri can be blanketed by snow ... No need to go abroad! :oops:

What can men do without their beloved wives? Ask @Silentrunning !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There is indeed a secret. They absolutely hate having their roots dry out, even in the slightest. So I take a container of water with me when I am going to dig up some self seeded ones. I drop the babies in the water and that way the roots never dry.
Best time for dealing with them by the way is as the temperatures begin to drop. They grow new roots as it gets into autumn.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic Hellebores are one of the toughest but loveliest plants. They are very easy to transplant. Make sure you add a bit of organic matter or bark mulch to the soil and that it is moist and free-draining and with a bit of shade and sheltered from strong wind, strong heat. They like it sheltered and enjoy a dry head. So it might be better to have a deciduous shrub above them as when the shrub shed leaves in winter, sunshine can access the crown, this will prevent virus and encourage blooms forming.

Ask a Question