Hellebores 2015

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So how about some pictures of your Hellebores?

Emma
dummetorum.jpg

H. purpurascens
January Flowers 2015 001.jpg

H x hybridus Double form
Bob's best.jpg

Bob's Best

Attachments

• Emma.jpg
    Emma.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 382
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the picture of your double - I didn't know they had them. Here's mine - I was lucky that I "inherited" them, they were already in the garden when I moved into the house. Funny, the garden was totally overgrown and wild, and these were the only cultivated plants that had survived.

mayflowers 041.jpg

mayflowers 039.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Owdboggy, Galmal, all you hellebores are beautiful! I love those plants. Do you know if it's possible to grow them indoors? Unfortunately, I don't have a garden anymore, but I have lots and lots of empty flower pots that need to be filled.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Very difficult to successfully grow them in a pot. They have huge root systems and need a woodland type of environment. They also hate getting too hot in Summer.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My area can get very hot during the summer so I quess this is not a good plant for me. It is very pretty, it would be nice to be added to the garden if it would grow in this area.

Reaction score
Those are lovely. That's so nice that you are able to get some of those flowers to face up where you can see them. The owner of a place I used to work said those were for the snails to look at when they crawled under because all the flowers were facing straight down.

Do you have a secret for getting them to face up? I would sure like to know because they have such lovely blooms, but no one gets to really enjoy it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The reason the flowers face down is to stop rain washing away the pollen before it can be taken for reproduction.
I take my pictures from a snail's perspective.
Otherwise I turn a flower and balance it on a leaf stem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Very difficult to successfully grow them in a pot. They have huge root systems and need a woodland type of environment. They also hate getting too hot in Summer.
It's a pity:( My apartment is very warm, so they probably wouldn't survive here. I guess I'll have to choose other plants. Fortunately, there are many to pick from:)
Your Credale Strain is beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They all are so beautiful! I simply can't pick one favorite, I would be more than happy if I could grow each one of them:D:love:
The green flower in the first picture looks especially unique.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here are my early bloomers. The majority of the hellebores are just full of blooms. This first one is a NOID that has a very pretty leaf that holds up through the winter
image.jpg

This next one is a self sown.
image.jpg

The last is a MadiGras mix. This particular plant always blooms earlier than the others.
image.jpg
There will be lots more blooms in the next few weeks
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Owdboggy. This one of the plants I just moved over to my spring planting list. I was sitting on the fence whether or not to go with it til this past weekend. It's so nice to see all the different variations of it. Jewell, I'm liking that white one. I have a semi shaded area where that white would really stand proud in.

Ask a Question