What should I do to encourage hellebores to flower please?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dug up and divided my hellebores, and wonder how I could encourage more blooms in January .. Advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hellebore prefer to be left undisturbed really alp .....I do divide now and then however. It will do what it will do now you have divided it; unlikely to flower before spring.
If you can get hold of mushroom compost then do. Ideal for hellebores ....and be generous with it; in the planting hole and with mulching. Feed now with fish blood and bone.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Verdun I will do that with fish and bone. I have to do it as they were so crowded. I won't do the rest now, but just feed them. Unfortunately, the mushroom compost farm has gone bust and the one recommended by Tetters is too far - in Ashford..:cry:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know alp. Used to be 3 or 4 mushroom farms locally and I would buy a lorry load of it. Cheap too. The garden centres sell it in 50 litrer or so bags though:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Verdy: I remember Monty, a TV presenter, talked about the LIME in the mushroom compost helps the hellebores bloom. How so?

I was very happy when I saw the mushroom farm in Essex was near us, I rang and the number was not recognised. I know it sounds stupid - I kept dialling hoping that I had misdialled. No, very sad. Perhaps, I could phone Michel Roux Jr, the man who paid his staff below living wages and kept their tips (I hope this critter -well, there is a similar sounding word, but I can't use it - has mended his way) to see if he could spare me some of his mushroom compost as he cultivates them in unused underground stations.

Ask a Question