Hellebores in a vase?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpeg
These hellebores looked so nice.......for a very short time. By the next morning the display had flopped. I had tried my friends mums trick of bashing the roots and this method seemed to work a couple if times but certainly not this time. I'm trying again with the plunging the stems in boiling water trick. I'll see in the morning. Does anyone have any clues?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They looked absolutely gorgeous!
Have you tried adding salt to their water? I know it makes roses last longer, so maybe it will work with hellebores too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I admire this flower in different colors but I have not tried using them in a vase! Personally, I don't like cut flowers of any kind since they died too soon in a vase. I feel bad when that happened :(

Reaction score
If you can wait until the flowers are just on the point of setting seed the petals go firmer & then they will last a while in a vase - in a cool place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I only pick the ones that have flopped over, some flop onto the ground so I don't feel guilty about picking them. And indeed love to look at them as they are really interesting flowers and "absolutely gorgeous", thanks Claudine.:) I'll try salt too.
How do I tell when they are about to seed Kaydee? Is it when the stamens and tiny little petals inside have gone or are in a little case? I've had a good look and compared them but not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's good, there is no reason to feel guilty for picking flowers:) You don't hurt the plant when you cut them. Actually, most plants grow healthier and bigger if you prune them regularly:)

Reaction score
Oh boy, they looked so pretty :( I hope you find an answer to this, it's so frustrating not to know why some tricks don't work for you but they do for others. For me it was the ''regrowing a lettuce using only water and a container''. I failed miserably.

Reaction score
Yes, exactly - when the stamens have gone & you see the beginnings of the seed cases. Can't send you a picture as they are not in flower here just now.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That's good, there is no reason to feel guilty for picking flowers:) You don't hurt the plant when you cut them. Actually, most plants grow healthier and bigger if you prune them regularly:)
You are right Claudine. In fact that is when I fill my vases, when I am cutting them back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yes, exactly - when the stamens have gone & you see the beginnings of the seed cases. Can't send you a picture as they are not in flower here just now.
Good Luck!
Thanks Kaydee. Will go out tomorrow and compare my hellebores. I do have quite a lot so I'm lucky.

Reaction score
As Hellebores once cut - generally have a hard time have taking up water and because of that their heads start drooping in a matter of minutes - you really can't go too far wrong doing as kaydee has mentioned - together with adding 2 tablespoons of alcohol to the water and although you could - if you wanted to be on the safe side - throw in a packet of flower food too - I've found it usually works exceptionally well without.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
As Hellebores once cut - generally have a hard time have taking up water and because of that their heads start drooping in a matter of minutes - you really can't go too far wrong doing as kaydee has mentioned - together with adding 2 tablespoons of alcohol to the water and although you could - if you wanted to be on the safe side - throw in a packet of flower food too - I've found it usually works exceptionally well without.
What sort of alcohol gata montes? Do you mean methylated spirits or something more palatable like vodka:ROFLMAO:?

Reaction score
What sort of alcohol gata montes? Do you mean methylated spirits or something more palatable like vodka:ROFLMAO:?

Yes :D I was meaning the more palatable kind of alcohol and although I'm not altogether sure if they do have preference as to type - I have noticed that they seem to much prefer spirits to beer or wine - so yes - vodka would be ideal :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Would thimble full do it? I think I may be reluctant to be too generous when it comes to the crunch....or should I say slurp!:D

Ask a Question