Hellebores

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can I plant O'Bytnes Amethyst Gem in a pot and keep it outside all winter in zone 7b?
Also Should the plant be cut back in winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just checked out your Amethyst Gem, beautiful.:love: I also just watched a "How to Care for Hellebores" which says to cut back all the old leaves,ones which don't have a bud he said, in early Spring after the snow melts. I don't have snow where I am in Australia and I do cut back early Spring. I have lots of hellebores and I love them, now I will be on the lookout for yours!!!!!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The plants are only a year old and only have about 2 to 3 leaves on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
Generally, I cut the dead flowers back after the flowering has finished and any leaves which are obviously starting to die back, At the end of the year I will again take away the dead or dying leaves, but I have found they generally fair will on their own and need little care throughout the year. Mine are in the garden so I do give it some feed now and again and remove the little seedlings around the base of the plant as it seems to self sow quite prolifically. Your Amethyst Gem is a pure beauty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That color is absolutely divine and I love hellebores of all kind! Taking pictures of them is another issue on its own since the flowers are facing down :) I want this in my garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, taking pictures is challenging, but you can get some great results with some patience and luck.

Attachments

• 2015-04-12_0001.jpg
    2015-04-12_0001.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few hellebores but here are some that I care for in a couple of my customers gardens
P1020973.JPG
P1020976.JPG
P1020971.JPG
You will notice the hellebore on the wall has had its leaves removed. I do this with some hellebores when they come into flower as often at that time of year the leaves are old and it prompts the plant to produce new leaves, when it has finished flowering. The hellebores in the last photo I have left the leaves as the are more Showy with them than without. I do Love hellebores(y).....Ps took theses Pic's Today so they are Fresh off my Camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To the OP, I don't know the particular one, but find hellebores hardy. Having said that ours are in the ground, quite a few things will take a frost, but not having their roots frozen, which can happen fairly easily in a pot. I would stand it somewhere protected, and maybe wrap the pot if it is going to be really cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Can I plant O'Bytnes Amethyst Gem in a pot and keep it outside all winter in zone 7b?
Also Should the plant be cut back in winter?
I have several in ground, zone 6, I never cut them back. In late winter/early spring, the plant will tell me which leaves are "dead", I will cut those out, never would I cut them all to the ground. As far as in a pot, guess it would be alright, don't do much pot containers here.

Ask a Question