Heating information

Reaction score
I am doing a science project trying to figure out which types of plants retain the most moisture in soil, as an attempt to combat desertification.

A garden expert suggested different plants for me to use, based on the fact that they use little water and provide a lot of shade. But, he suggested to me for my setup, to use grow lights, accompanied by an under-plant heating pad, rather than a heating/grow light.

Now that I think about it, don't his choices for plants seem moot? What is the point of using plants that create a lot shade, if the heat is coming from under the plant, rather than rays from above it?

The plants I am using are Bermuda Grass, Evening Primrose, and Bergenia (winterglow)
I am also aiming to maintain a heat of about 80-90 degrees F

What kind of set up do you think I should use, and do you have any other comments on the experiment?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd love to help you but i've got no idea what you are talking about. Plants don't retain moisture in soil, they use whatever is available.

Check with what ever teacher set the assignment and question their credentials.

Reaction score
There have been known studies showing that without plants, water evaporates much faster
Plants are being used to retain the moisture in soil

Allan Savory does a good job at explaining desertification causes, however, not everything he says is creditable, like the phrases he uses such as "The ONLY cure"

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aah, i'm sorry, I misunderstood the question. You mean moisture retained in the biomass as opposed to bare soil.

Trees would retain the most.

The heating pad seems an odd way to do an experiment I agree.

Reaction score
I saw that video recently, and it is fascinating! Most interesting to me, was the use of the animals placed in specific areas in a rotating pattern throughout the year. Many people think livestock animals are bad for the soil but this video shows the important relationship animal/plant life in building up the soil.

Ask a Question