Delphinium Information

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
I got a packet of these seeds (the brand is burpee and it's called the Pacific giant mix if that matters) last year and never got around to planting them but I've read where they are still good to plant. I had the perfect place I wanted to plant them but it's constantly shaded so I can't put them there but I wanted to know if they would be good on the west facing side of my house. I read somewhere that they should get morning sun and afternoon shade and if this is true and it really matters that much then I could plant them on the east facing side of my house although they will probably only get about maybe 2-4 hours of sun depending on where specifically I place them just because of the trees and whatnot. So I just want to know about the placement like I said and just any other information/tips about planting them like does it matter what mulch I use as well as soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For best results with Delphinium elatum 'Pacific Giant Mix' from seed, start the seeds in small containers in a potting or seeding soil mix.

The seedlings can be planted out at any time, but larger plants will be easier to care for and have a higher survival rate. Grow the seedling until 4" pot size, or even one gallon if you have room for the pots.

Plant them out in full to half-day sun either eastern or western exposure can work well, though western exposure may need more irrigation to counter afternoon heat build-up. As you space on both sides of your house, try them in both places. The soil should be rich and well-draining. Amend and mulch with compost at time of planting. Fine bark as a second top mulch is also beneficial.

Ask a Question