Heartleaf philodendron transluscent stripes on leaves

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi everyone,

These transluscent/pale spots have appeared on the leaves of my plant (which I bought as pothos but I think is a heartleaf philodendron). The newest leaves are more affected, i.e. the further up you move on each branch, the leaves are greener/healthier. Any ideas what could be causing this issue and what I can do to fix it?

Many thanks!

IMG_20220311_154355.jpg
IMG_20220311_154408.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The mottling on your Heart-leaf Philodendron (Philodendron hederaceum) may have several possible causes.

1. First rule out the possibility of a nutrient deficiency. Do you fertilize this plant on a regular schedule with a complete, liquid fertilizer.
The word 'complete' means that the fertilizer contains all necessary nutrients, both macro- and micro-. If you have not fertilized this plant before, begin to do so now.

2. This may be a virus. Either Dasheen Mosaic Virus or something else. I recommend that you immediately remove the stem(s) with mottled leaves. Sterilize the cutting tool between cuts. If the mottled leaves appear a second time, dispose of the plant by incinerator or regular trash.

3. This could be sport (mutation) unrelated to virus infection. If you want to try to root the stems with mottled leaves separately you may do so. However do this in a sanitary manner, keep this plant isolated from others. If it later does turn out to be infected with virus dispose of the plant by incineration or put it in the regular trash (not compost).

Ask a Question