has my compost gone bad again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Yes slimey wet compost can be a problem if the balance of what you add to your pile is not quite right, simple solution which works every time is to add as much variety as you have available in small layers, if you have say a lot of grass, then set some aside and every time you add something to your heap then add a layer of what you have excess of, do not compress the heap but do turn it often to allow plenty of air in. This year we have added roofing thatch, straw, Grasscuttings, hedge prunings, dead flower heads, herbaceous prunings and leaves together with shredded paper cardboard and the spent hay and straw from my wife's rabbit shed, this will make lovely compost by next spring, ready to use, Many Of Our Compost containers are Just a rectangle of chicken wire with four posts, the chicken wire is open at the front so it's easy to get wheelbarrow in, to start with anyway, this is my preferred way of compost making, it's cheap, it works well and is relatively easy to deal with.

Ask a Question