Has anyone tried using Wall O Water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chanell, the hot water jugs are used for tender perennials in the flower beds, probably 10 plants total. Most of our flowers are natives or have been in Texas so long they have acclimated but I always fall for a "borderline" plant at the nursery and end up having to baby it through cold snaps!
We have so many tomato plants because I'm a sucker for trying new varieties, also I can a lot, and the local food pantry will take fresh produce (thank heavens!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How would the plants be any weaker than if grown indoor or in a greenhouse? I could awlays harden them off with a fan.

How is it extra work?

I'm not trying to start tomatoes. I need more arugula for garden #3 and I need to start pea shoots. I think the start date for tomatoes here is in February.

I get about 10 hours of daylight right now. In my yard, the problem is usually too much sun. Even though it's winter, the temperature is usually in the 50s or 60s most days. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 70. I'd like to start some seed indoors, then take the seedlings outside. I don't have any extra room in the greenhouse so if i could use the WoW like a greenhouse, it would be very helpful.

I grow everything in containers and move around as needed. Buying plants from the nursery isn't convenient since the plants aren't available past a certain date, even though we all know there are ways to extend the season.
Then if you can put a fan in the greenhouse you could also put in a heater and start your plants much earlier and just repot them when needed. As for arugula sow the seeds right now in what ever you want. Arugula is a cole crop and will withstand a light to medium frost with no problem. If a hard freeze is expected cover them. And if by pea shoots you mean the green english peas now is the time to sow them in the ground

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is extra work by the putting on and taking off of the pots every time you think there will be a possibility of a frost. I mentioned the setting temps of tomatoes just as a reminder that with the WOW or anything else for that matter you will not be setting tomatoes any earlier than you always do. The time you save is the growing time of the plant to maturity

Oh, well I am already doing that. As I said, the temperature is usually warm enough to not have to bother - today we're supposed to top out at 70F. It'll be back in the 50s tomorrow, and only one day do we have to worry about it dipping below 40 overnight and then it warms up again. The delicates are in the greenhouse for the duration and I open and close it as necessary. The cold hardy stuff gets covered as needed when frosts and freezes come.

Then if you can put a fan in the greenhouse you could also put in a heater and start your plants much earlier and just repot them when needed. As for arugula sow the seeds right now in what ever you want. Arugula is a cole crop and will withstand a light to medium frost with no problem. If a hard freeze is expected cover them. And if by pea shoots you mean the green english peas now is the time to sow them in the ground

Right now the greenhouse is too full of other things. I am using the flower pot candle heater for now, but it doesn't heat that much. The current greenhouse also has structure problems...

I'm already growing arugula in garden #3 and just need to start more plants.

I'll be growing the peas only for shoots, and some varieties are better for that purpose. I have to order the peas and the arugula see this week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, the hot water jugs are used for tender perennials in the flower beds, probably 10 plants total. Most of our flowers are natives or have been in Texas so long they have acclimated but I always fall for a "borderline" plant at the nursery and end up having to baby it through cold snaps!
We have so many tomato plants because I'm a sucker for trying new varieties, also I can a lot, and the local food pantry will take fresh produce (thank heavens!).

I know what the jugs are used for, I have them in my greenhouse, I was asking how many you use and how long it takes to fill them with hot water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just an update about these - someone in my local plant swap group said they used these in Virginia and they worked great and were well worth the investment. It's pretty warm here now, but the flip floppy weather is what does the plants in quite often, so I think I am going to order a pack and experiment with them.

Ask a Question