Has anyone tried using Wall O Water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I recently discovered a new (to me) protect for starting plants earlier. Supposedly these things can withstand high winds and low temperatures well below freezing. One of the reasons I don't start my plants from seed is that it takes forever to go from seedling to harvest with a lot of edibles.

07c498b46fc442fda1b1b2504d2c3dba.jpg

This product is supposed to let you start your plants 6 to 8 weeks earlier. This is a video of how they work:

I am really curious about this as it would help me get a jump start on spring and it would save money since I could start my own plants myself this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently discovered a new (to me) protect for starting plants earlier. Supposedly these things can withstand high winds and low temperatures well below freezing. One of the reasons I don't start my plants from seed is that it takes forever to go from seedling to harvest with a lot of edibles.

07c498b46fc442fda1b1b2504d2c3dba.jpg

This product is supposed to let you start your plants 6 to 8 weeks earlier. This is a video of how they work:

I am really curious about this as it would help me get a jump start on spring and it would save money since I could start my own plants myself this year.
I would like to learn more about this. My first impression of this is favorable but then I think about our weather here this year. If I had put out my tomato plants 8 weeks early, assuming that I planted the seeds about the 1st on November the plants would be dead. The Wall O Water would have frozen solid and so would have the plants. Also think of this. Suppose we have 4 or 5 days of no sunshine to heat the water with the highs in the low 40's and the lows of 33. Before long the water is the ambient temp. It is possible for a LIGHT frost at 38F depending on the humidity. Suppose it got down to 30F would the Wall O Water freeze and protect the plants? It probably would if the plants were not touching the plastic. In our climate I can see using it as about a 3 week head start. These things cost $3 each on Amazon. As of now I can't see an economic benefit when you can do the same thing by lining a 5 gallon bucket or a 3 gallon planting pot with a couple of layers of newspapers, but like I said I would like to learn more

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It seems that investing in cheap shelving, fluorescent lights, and using either a sterile starting mix or Miracle Gro potting mix and setting the whole thing up inside would be more economical. We got a four shelf unit from Harbor Freight for $10, two 2' fluorescent lights for about $8 each from Lowe's, and the potting mix (Miracle Gro) for $6 at the local hardware store. I've used this set-up for several years, except for the potting soil, which is fresh each year. I put it in the guest bedroom and start lots of vegetable plants such as tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, etc. as well as herbs.
If there is any space in your home for starting seeds, this works well and gives you not only a head start, but you get to select the varieties you want to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It seems that investing in cheap shelving, fluorescent lights, and using either a sterile starting mix or Miracle Gro potting mix and setting the whole thing up inside would be more economical. We got a four shelf unit from Harbor Freight for $10, two 2' fluorescent lights for about $8 each from Lowe's, and the potting mix (Miracle Gro) for $6...

It's not economical if you have to go out and buy all of that. I don't have the space to do it inside, otherwise I would not be looking into this. Also. not everything is recommended to be started indoors. Your 1 shelf unit cost you more than one 3 pack of wall o water would cost me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would like to learn more about this. My first impression of this is favorable but then I think about our weather here this year. If I had put out my tomato plants 8 weeks early, assuming that I planted the seeds about the 1st on November the plants would be dead. The Wall O Water would have frozen solid and so would have the plants. Also think of this. Suppose we have 4 or 5 days of no sunshine to heat the water with the highs in the low 40's and the lows of 33. Before long the water is the ambient temp. It is possible for a LIGHT frost at 38F depending on the humidity. Suppose it got down to 30F would the Wall O Water freeze and protect the plants? It probably would if the plants were not touching the plastic. In our climate I can see using it as about a 3 week head start. These things cost $3 each on Amazon. As of now I can't see an economic benefit when you can do the same thing by lining a 5 gallon bucket or a 3 gallon planting pot with a couple of layers of newspapers, but like I said I would like to learn more

How would the bucket and layering of newspapers work?

Wall O Water is supposed to protect down to a temperature of 12F, as well as from 40 mph wind and animals.
http://www.wall-o-water.com/product.html

I've seen it at different prices from different sources. I have mild-ish winters, but we do get the occasional freeze. (Like last week.) I'm really interested in the claim that you could start plants several weeks earlier. That would mean access to mature plants sooner and an earlier ability to harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's not economical if you have to go out and buy all of that. I don't have the space to do it inside, otherwise I would not be looking into this. Also. not everything is recommended to be started indoors. Your 1 shelf unit cost you more than one 3 pack of wall o water would cost me.
I did a little online research and a lot of folks made their own Wall of Water by using 2 liter clear plastic bottles in a circle around where the plant was to be planted.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been around 10F over night for th last week. I know it is winter time here and would not be using this product at this time but it is still cold in March. I would like to be able to plant sooner and keep the garden going into late November if possible without a greenhouse. Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How would the bucket and layering of newspapers work?

Wall O Water is supposed to protect down to a temperature of 12F, as well as from 40 mph wind and animals.
http://www.wall-o-water.com/product.html

I've seen it at different prices from different sources. I have mild-ish winters, but we do get the occasional freeze. (Like last week.) I'm really interested in the claim that you could start plants several weeks earlier. That would mean access to mature plants sooner and an earlier ability to harvest.
Starting plants earlier is what interests me too. I can see where it would protect down to 12F if the sun was shining. But if there is no sunshine the water inside the thing cannot absorb the energy from the sun and everything will assume ambient temperature. About the wind. Where I live about the earliest one would attempt to set out plants would be March 15 and March is notorious for being windy. By having your plants surrounded by the WOW for the past 30-45 days or more, they have been in a breeze free or wind free zone, so to speak, and the stem and branches will thus be weaker and the wind "might" break them. Also, by the middle of March the plants will or should be growing out of the top and in that case you would have to remove it anyway or you will not get it off without damaging the plant. Lets forget about the WOW for now. Your climate is a little warmer than mine if you live in the southern half of La. Quite a bit warmer in deep south LA. You can probably start you seeds earlier if you want to do extra work. You could probably start them between the first and mid December and set them out mid to late Feb. but you would have to be ready to cover them and the way to that is to line large plant containers and 5 gallon buckets with two or three layers of newspaper. I have protected mine this way when the temps went to the mid to high 20's with no problem. The secret is to have big enough containers to hold the paper and the ever growing plant without damaging it either putting it on or taking it off. And also you must take into consideration that tomatoes only "reliably" set fruit between 68F and 74F NIGHTTIME TEMPS. If it gets much above 78F they won't set much if any. This applies to just about all tomatoes except the cherrys.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would need a HUGE investment if I was going to make a use of this. A few of them just wouldn't cut it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chanelle, the only investment we have yearly is starter mix. I agree that the initial cost is greater for shelving, lights and light fixtures, but I get about 48 tomato plants, two 9 packs of herbs, and about 20 pepper plants for the $6-8 spent for starter mix. Using a WOW for 68 plants wouldn't be feasible for us. For someone who wants to get a jump on table tomatoes, perhaps three or four plants and a couple of peppers, it would work if it performs as advertised.
I still don't see how one could warm up the soil temperature for the seedlings. Ambient temperature for stem and leaves is different than soil temperature for roots. I take the temperature of the soil before transplanting peppers and tomatoes. I've had transplants set back by too cool soil.
I've used the gallon plastic jugs filled with hot water to protect tender perennials when a freeze is expected in spring, and it works fine. It is a quick fix for a temporary problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chanelle, the only investment we have yearly is starter mix. I agree that the initial cost is greater for shelving, lights and light fixtures, but I get about 48 tomato plants, two 9 packs of herbs, and about 20 pepper plants for the $6-8 spent for starter mix. Using a WOW for 68 plants wouldn't be feasible for us. For someone who wants to get a jump on table tomatoes, perhaps three or four plants and a couple of peppers, it would work if it performs as advertised.
I still don't see how one could warm up the soil temperature for the seedlings. Ambient temperature for stem and leaves is different than soil temperature for roots. I take the temperature of the soil before transplanting peppers and tomatoes. I've had transplants set back by too cool soil.
I've used the gallon plastic jugs filled with hot water to protect tender perennials when a freeze is expected in spring, and it works fine. It is a quick fix for a temporary problem.
To warm up the soil deep enough to plant the seedlings you would have to use that plastic mulch shown in the video and that is more expense. But Chanelle lives in a warmer place than us so it might work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did a little online research and a lot of folks made their own Wall of Water by using 2 liter clear plastic bottles in a circle around where the plant was to be planted.

I tried using plastic bottles full of water to heat the greenhouse and it did not work. I went out in the morning and the temperature inside was the same as outside. That's why I tried the flower pot and candle.

It has been around 10F over night for th last week. I know it is winter time here and would not be using this product at this time but it is still cold in March. I would like to be able to plant sooner and keep the garden going into late November if possible without a greenhouse. Thanks for the information.

If you try it, Pat, let me know how it works out. It's not that expensive to get one pack to see how they do, which is why I've been thinking about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Starting plants earlier is what interests me too... By having your plants surrounded by the WOW for the past 30-45 days or more, they have been in a breeze free or wind free zone, so to speak, and the stem and branches will thus be weaker and the wind "might" break them.

How would the plants be any weaker than if grown indoor or in a greenhouse? I could awlays harden them off with a fan.

You can probably start you seeds earlier if you want to do extra work.

How is it extra work?

And also you must take into consideration that tomatoes only "reliably" set fruit between 68F and 74F NIGHTTIME TEMPS. If it gets much above 78F they won't set much if any. This applies to just about all tomatoes except the cherrys.

I'm not trying to start tomatoes. I need more arugula for garden #3 and I need to start pea shoots. I think the start date for tomatoes here is in February.

I get about 10 hours of daylight right now. In my yard, the problem is usually too much sun. Even though it's winter, the temperature is usually in the 50s or 60s most days. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 70. I'd like to start some seed indoors, then take the seedlings outside. I don't have any extra room in the greenhouse so if i could use the WoW like a greenhouse, it would be very helpful.

I grow everything in containers and move around as needed. Buying plants from the nursery isn't convenient since the plants aren't available past a certain date, even though we all know there are ways to extend the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanelle, the only investment we have yearly is starter mix. I agree that the initial cost is greater...

The initial investment is still cost prohibitive in this situation and I don't have room for 48 tomato plants. I would have more than enough fruit from just 1 or 2 plants.

How many gallon plastic jugs? Considering the amount of plants you mentioned, it would seem it would take a long time to heat water and fill all those jugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How would the plants be any weaker than if grown indoor or in a greenhouse? I could awlays harden them off with a fan.

How is it extra work?

I'm not trying to start tomatoes. I need more arugula for garden #3 and I need to start pea shoots. I think the start date for tomatoes here is in February.

I get about 10 hours of daylight right now. In my yard, the problem is usually too much sun. Even though it's winter, the temperature is usually in the 50s or 60s most days. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 70. I'd like to start some seed indoors, then take the seedlings outside. I don't have any extra room in the greenhouse so if i could use the WoW like a greenhouse, it would be very helpful.

I grow everything in containers and move around as needed. Buying plants from the nursery isn't convenient since the plants aren't available past a certain date, even though we all know there are ways to extend the season.
It is extra work by the putting on and taking off of the pots every time you think there will be a possibility of a frost. I mentioned the setting temps of tomatoes just as a reminder that with the WOW or anything else for that matter you will not be setting tomatoes any earlier than you always do. The time you save is the growing time of the plant to maturity

Ask a Question