Has anyone tried bokashi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I recently learned about bokashi by accident. You know that brown liquid that forms when lettuce in left in a bag too long in the fridge? Apparently you can use it to fertilize your plants, and all food waste can be recycled. All you need is a lidded bucket and some wheat bran and in two weeks you get a fermented (pickled) "product" that you can use to feed your plants. Since traditional composting takes longer than that, the idea really appeals to me.

Reaction score
I recently learned about bokashi by accident. You know that brown liquid that forms when lettuce in left in a bag too long in the fridge? Apparently you can use it to fertilize your plants, and all food waste can be recycled. All you need is a lidded bucket and some wheat bran and in two weeks you get a fermented (pickled) "product" that you can use to feed your plants. Since traditional composting takes longer than that, the idea really appeals to me.
Most of our kitchen wastes can be turned into this . Once mastered , we really enjoyed it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most of our kitchen wastes can be turned into this . Once mastered , we really enjoyed it .

That is why I want to try it. The time is shorter than traditional composting, which is a big plus. I just have to get all the supplies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Try it .. & you'll love it !

Really? So you make your own? Do you have any hints or tips to share? I am about to start experimenting with compost tea, though I'd love to try bokashi since it has a quick turn around.

Reaction score
I've never thought about that, and I've seen the brown liquid tons of times. I have used the starchy water that comes from boiling rice as fertilizer for my roses. I have Also used tea bags and coffee for my compose pile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never did get the supplies to do the bokashi. I have a plain old home-made compost bin outside that I made from a storage bin. I've been making tonic from leftover coffee and steeping banana peels and that seems to be working out well, so I probably just stick to the traditional composting.

Reaction score
I am familiar with the brown liquid that I sometimes find in my vegetable bin, and have used it as fertilizer, I just didn't know there was a name for that goopy stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am familiar with the brown liquid that I sometimes find in my vegetable bin, and have used it as fertilizer, I just didn't know there was a name for that goopy stuff!

LOL! I have been very satisfied with the success of my outdoor composting in a storage bin with access for earthworms so I no longer think about trying bokashi. If I had some of the fatty things you can't put in regular compost like meat, I might try it, but I think the best thing for that stuff would be a solar digester.

Reaction score
I don't try to make the brown goopy stuff in my vegetable bin, but sometimes the kids shove the healthy stuff to the back and I find it and get to clean it. :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't try to make the brown goopy stuff in my vegetable bin, but sometimes the kids shove the healthy stuff to the back and I find it and get to clean it. :mad:

Ew! What fun that is, lol! That's the problem with those bins - out of sight, out of mind! I try to only by what can be used within about 4 days, but often I find I still have stuff a week after I've gone to the farmer's market. Which reminds me, I have some cooking to go and do...

Ask a Question