Had a huge tree chopped down today...Fascinating!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This tree about to be chopped down as it is forever loosing big branches and squashing my garden, not the Echium destroyer....that's next on the list. I actually took a video which captures it's true height but unable to upload it.
Amazing to watch the tree loppers at work, a lot of skill.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Son, husband, neighbour...the tree is actually on his block but I'm the one who wanted the tree down so we went halves in cost and clean up. The tree was also dropping branches on his side too. I'm behind the camera but I was working 9 am to 4 pm and steamed dim sims for lunch...are you blinded by the glint of my halo;)! Very achy and tired of course but had a steam bath...it works wonders.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
It fell exactly where he planned with his co worker and the other men holding the rope to guide it...very exciting :confused::eek::)
And now the aftermath.....if we hadn't been working all day to clear as we went this whole area would have been covered with branches so now I'll do my bit of clearing but the big logs are big boys jobs!!! I just know it'll will be like this for a while though.
It

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 295

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Smashing job, not something i'd like to tackle :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
two years ago we had 8 threes taken out. A 180 foot crane was on the property, and two trucks, one to carry away the huge logs, and one to chew up the smaller stuff. All the men wore ear things to talk to each other. Three of the trees were lifted over our house to the front to the truck waiting for them. Two of the trees were in my cherished garden, the foremen was warned that not one of those shrubs should be touched, and they were not. the trees were totally lifted out. Its amazing to watch, the wrapping of the higher limbs then the swinging of them over the roof to the trucks, then the wrapping of the huge trucks, and the lifting over the house. All men talking to each other to make sure all knew what they were doing, I am thinking about 6 men total. I might have some pics somewhere.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That'd be good to see Esther (y)

Wish you'd been round my place when the tv bloke was round the other day, he thought my flower bed was a good place to dump the old airiel :cautious:

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, that man up there is my new hero :eek: My mom actually want a really tall tree down, it's 60 years old or so, it's a big pine tree. But I doubt we will ever be able to tackle it down... so many branches and the thing it's so tall, it would cost too much! I'm glad to read you got rid of that one :) when are you guys going to get rid of the another one?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That young man "up there" is called Anton and he said it was quite entertaining watching us all run around cleaning up. Well I wasn't actually running, more puffing:p. He called down that he had a good view of my "geometric thing". One is meant to view a parterre from above, whether it's that far above is another thing!:LOL:. Have a quote for the other tree, either branches that overhang us or the whole tree but it's well and truly on next door neighbors property and they are moving in a month. I'll have to decide if I'll do the branches or wait to meet my new neighbors and ask them to fork out money for a problem they didn't know they had. Not a pleasant welcome.:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
two years ago we had 8 threes taken out. A 180 foot crane was on the property, and two trucks, one to carry away the huge logs, and one to chew up the smaller stuff. All the men wore ear things to talk to each other. Three of the trees were lifted over our house to the front to the truck waiting for them. Two of the trees were in my cherished garden, the foremen was warned that not one of those shrubs should be touched, and they were not. the trees were totally lifted out. Its amazing to watch, the wrapping of the higher limbs then the swinging of them over the roof to the trucks, then the wrapping of the huge trucks, and the lifting over the house. All men talking to each other to make sure all knew what they were doing, I am thinking about 6 men total. I might have some pics somewhere.
That would have been an impressive operation. And how was your "aftermath"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is really impressive, but the truth is that I feel sorry for that tree, I can't help it:( Trees are amazing, and it's always such a loss to see them being chopped down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The aftermath was good. Husband had them dump some shavings in a pile down in the corner of our property, which he uses for weed coverage in certain garden areas. They loaded all the big trunks on one of those long beds, like you see loggers use on TV. and the rest became wood chips that they took away. The guys raked and raked to get all stuff up to throw into the wood chipper truck, only some saw dust remained. I think some of the pics are on photobucket or my facebook still.

Ask a Question