Guess what veggie I am!?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have a good picture of stinging nettle? I wanted to share a pic with you all, but I can't find one of my own. Anyway this is an interesting plant. I have carefully cut off tender shoots that are new "branches" and added them to soups and stir fries! Be careful though! Wear gloves when cutting the plant or it will sting you! It's cool because after you cook it for one minute the sting is completely gone! Also don't eat too much of it or you'll get a stomach ache. If you eat a few "branches" now and then as I described above, they are really tasty! They taste like spinach with more texture!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! I just looked up goosegrass or cleavers in my foraging guide and found this warning:. It says " some people can consume only small amounts of goosegrass due to the high concentration of coumarin in its tissues. This chemical compound will usually trigger headaches in the coumarin-sensitive before it becomes a problem, but it can cause life threatening complications in such individuals when consumed in quantity!"

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys! I just looked up goosegrass or cleavers in my foraging guide and found this warning:. It says " some people can consume only small amounts of goosegrass due to the high concentration of coumarin in its tissues. This chemical compound will usually trigger headaches in the coumarin-sensitive before it becomes a problem, but it can cause life threatening complications in such individuals when consumed in quantity!"
I've just googled it and it's the same, thanks for the warning but i don't eat anything that you have to forage for. :)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just remembered to take a pic of stinging nettles, a bit frosted. Can use it as a hair tonic made like tea then pour it over the hair after washing and conditioner.
20201231_103504.jpg

Ask a Question