I guess "big brother" IS "big brother".......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
......whether we like it or not. On the way to show a house, this morning, I was using Google Maps (as I always have) to get to the location. My bride and I were talking (about what I don't recall, but it's really irrelevant, anyway) and all of a sudden (for the first time EVER) my phone sounded a tone, then said, "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that"......LOSS of privacy...It's the nature of the beast, technology.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah I know. Wanna know a first world problem? Your wife keeps using the manual switch on the lights instead of the voice switch, so you gotta walk across the room in the dark, and dodge cat toys! Wanna know another? Google has to talk to you, loudly, at night, and say "OK! I am endeavoring to execute your high command to magically turn off the device you have commanded me to turn off while trying my best to be noticed by people I think are in the room with you so we can sell more google home services and we do this an incalcuable number of times as you turn a simple switch on and if withyour voice vibrational pattern" vs Lexa which now goes "ding".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can disable virtual assistants on things like phones and tablets. Which device do you have @David from Dothan?
Well Becky.........I would think that I shouldn't have to disable an "app" that I didn't enable to begin with and I SURE don't like cellular companies taking liberties WITHOUT my permission........and MOST ESPECIALLY without notice . I've got a dreaded Android (one whose mother and daddy were, obviously, brother and sister). I've had it since May 21, 2015.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This article had me in stitches :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United States
I have 14 years of experience in very high level IT work. I can say with certainty that ads are matched with texts, browser usage (such as this site), conversations near your phone or smart device and in some cases your phone conversations (phone apps that give you a *free* phone number.) I know how deep the rabbit hole goes because I literally helped dig the rabbit hole. I routinely tell people to get phone cases that are faraday cages (google it) and to cover your cameras on your devices with a little sticker. I also use old DSL cameras without gps for sharing photos online. (Location to 3 feet is in your cell phone photo meta data)
Big brother is bigger than you think there is plenty I haven't said. :)
Edit for typos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 14 years of experience in very high level IT work. I can say with certainty that ads are matched with texts, browser usage (such as this site), conversations near your phone or smart device and in some cases your phone conversations (phone apps that give you a *free* phone number.) I know how deep the rabbit hole goes because I literally helped dig the rabbit hole. I routinely tell people to get phone cases that are faraday cages (google it) and to cover your cameras on your devices with a little sticker. I also use old DSL cameras without gps for sharing photos online. (Location to 3 feet is in your cell phone photo meta data)
Big brother is bigger than you think there is plenty I haven't said. :)
Edit for typos
And these sheeple around here think I'm crazy.......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here, where I live, there is no cell service, no cable, and no fiber optic internet. My Grandson walked three miles to my workplace from home because he didn't recognize my landline phone, nor know how to use it! I sometimes feel like the world has passed me by.....

Ask a Question