Growing Yucca from seed

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So my yucca plant finally bloomed last year for the first time. I collected the seed pods and decided to try and see if I could get some seeds to germinate. Well I read that they can take forever to germinate but after 3 weeks I already have 4 seeds sprouting. So I made up a well draining mix with equal amounts of compost, soil mix, sand and perlite and planted them a half inch deep. Now I've found contrasting info on when they can be planted outdoors, one site said three years once they've gotten large enough through a series of pot size upgrades. I'm in zone 5A. So I'm hoping someone here has gone through this before and might be able to pass on any knowledge they've acquired through experience. Tks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I am in zone 5 and I cant get rid of these yucca! Lol. I bought a house that has them. I gave it root killer last summer, weedkillers, and again root killer 2 weeks ago. They are still alive! I think you are safe to plant whenever. They appear to be indestructible.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am in zone 5 and I cant get rid of these yucca! Lol. I bought a house that has them. I gave it root killer last summer, weedkillers, and again root killer 2 weeks ago. They are still alive! I think you are safe to plant whenever. They appear to be indestructible.
Could you not have dug them up instead of using herbicides. Turns out the variety I have is Yucca Glauca, also known as soapweed. Very slow growing it seems so I'll have to see how big they get by the end of the summer. Depending on how many I end up with I may put some in the ground just to see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I will have to try and dig them up. They are in a compact area around an outdoor light post, im worried o am going to knock down pavers and create more of a mess
. I just bought this house last year and lots of strange things growing randomly. Onions everywhere, mint, Brussel sprouts by the shed, a random tomato plant. That is why I used a herbicide everywhere. This yard is a mess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I will have to try and dig them up. They are in a compact area around an outdoor light post, im worried o am going to knock down pavers and create more of a mess
. I just bought this house last year and lots of strange things growing randomly. Onions everywhere, mint, Brussel sprouts by the shed, a random tomato plant. That is why I used a herbicide everywhere. This yard is a mess.
if you dig up the biggest you see, seems there is a little one that appears, I just mow those down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
No way! Grrrr, that is frustrating. I wanted to use that circle area with the light post for Dahlias that grow 3-4 feet.

Ask a Question