Growing veggies in hoop houses...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in some 6b (west Michigan). I have a 4 raised vegetable beds 8x4', 3 of which have hoop houses. I'd like to use hoop houses to extend my season, primarily by warming soil and starting earlier.

I'm trying to figure out when to plant seeds and transplants though.

1 bed I'd like to dedicate to cold season veggies like spinach, broccoli, carrots, snap peas, Brussel sprouts. The other 2 hoop house beds will primarily have peppers and tomatoes.

I'm starting the tomatoes and peppers inside. Without the hoop house, I'd usually transplant these around mid may and direct sow cold season veggies beginning of April (although haven't done sprouts or broccoli before).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Gardening tends to be trial and error specific to your microclimates, etc. I’d recommend getting a soil thermometer and using it as a judge for planting in your hoops. Test the soil temps early morning before sunrise and at the heat of the day. The size of your hoop houses will have a lot to do with soil temperature fluctuations. Then have fun and enjoy getting your hands dirty. It often helps to keep written records for planning the following growing season. With hoops you can grow some greens and cole crops really late into the fall/winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your hoop-houses are ideal size for hot-beds, whereby you can grow year round, though limited by light, of course, if your climate is anything like mine.+In such circumstances, peppers will still be fruiting near Christmas.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your hoop-houses are ideal size for hot-beds, whereby you can grow year round, though limited by light, of course, if your climate is anything like mine.+In such circumstances, peppers will still be fruiting near Christmas.
That would be awesome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My only advice is use good soil , well fertilized with aged compost and nutrients. Stay away from chemical fertilizer if you can. Chicken poop and AGED cow manure are a good place to start. Don't fill your beds with the bagged top soil. I did and BIG MISTAKE !

Reaction score
Country
United States
I compost, but it’s not nearly enough for all my beds. Need to find a source of cow and chicken poop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you have access to logs, tree trimmings, branches they make a fantastic foundation for raised beds. Look up huglekultur. We had stumps left from having to remove three diseased filbert trees and some branches. They provided the foundation for two large raised beds. Best gardening decision I ever made. The soil is beautiful, loamy and the best growing areas in the yard.

Ask a Question